DouglasSkinner

Watch Doesn't Fully Wind Down

Question

Recently replaced the mainspring in a vintage watch (a Westfield 7j).  Cleaned and lubricated watch.  Worked fine for several days.  Now I have a problem in which it stops before the mainspring is fully unwound--power reserve appears to be less than 24 hrs, but I haven't done a precise check.  Just noticed this morning that it was stopped at about 0530.  Prior to this the watch had good power reserve and the mainspring fully unwound--power reserve over 30 hrs.  What kinds of things might cause this?

20190426_115850.jpg

3 answers to this question

It is fault-finding by elimination.

I would check and see if it works for 24 hours + out of the case, if no remove the dial and hands and try again. If no try this. Is the arbor binding in the barrel? Make sure the arbor has not worn and where it touches the barrel make, sure it is smooth. Are the holes in the barrel good and not worn? Is the barrel bridge worn? Is the spring correct and the right height. Barrel and arbor oiled correctly. If all is correct next is check the train. Let me know how it works out.

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It is fault-finding by elimination.

I would check and see if it works for 24 hours + out of the case, if no remove the dial and hands and try again. If no try this. Is the arbor binding in the barrel? Make sure the arbor has not worn and where it touches the barrel make, sure it is smooth. Are the holes in the barrel good and not worn? Is the barrel bridge worn? Is the spring correct and the right height. Barrel and arbor oiled correctly. If all is correct next is check the train. Let me know how it works out.

Thanks much!  What you said makes a lot of sense.  Will do and will let you know.

Did the old mainspring break? If it didnt maybe put it back in and see if the power reserve goes back to 30hrs?

I've had some poor quality springs but they were too strong .. worth a shot anyway if the old spring is present.

Anilv

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lenj
      Hi all,
      Strange I have two Fema clock movements to repair, both with broken mainsprings and one with a broken click spring, can you please tell me, are the click springs readily available???has anyone bought one, if so where from?
      Photo attached of good click spring, this is the type that I need.. 
      Hope you are all well..
      Thx Len

• By m1ks
      Hmmm, kind of!
      But........ It shows great potential as a hobbyist alternative, with some tweaking.
      After a back and forth with @Andyhull on another thread it got me to thinking perhaps it's not as useless as my initial annoyance led me to think, (I broke a mainspring trying it but to be fair the spring had been previously abused and the tool wasn't ideally sized allowing the coils to jump and tangle).
      I had a bit of a resize with sanding stick and scalpel and tried again and it's certainly got promise, I need to tweak the file to suit specific barrels but it's a simple quick 3 part print using barely any filament.
      Obviously not anywhere near as good as the proper bergeon winder but definitely cheaper for the hobbyist, (even if you haven't already got a printer and had to buy one first).
      Here's a video of it if anyone is interested, comments and ideas are welcome.

• By Plusfoursmax
      Hi,
      I have a Rotary Monza I am fixing up. I disassembled the barrel and removed and cleaned the mainspring. I secured a copy of the parts list and it shows that as well as the mainspring, there is also a Brake Spring (part 775 on the picture). What is it, and do I really need it? Certainly Cousins does not sell it. I googled AS 1902 brake spring and ONE result came up of a Russian watch forum discussing this item. Apparently it is thicker than a normal spring and it seems to have some sort of bent over feature on it. Can I just make one using the old mainspring? If so, how long should it be? Is it really necessary?
      https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://forum.watch.ru/showthread.php%3Fp%3D5196915&prev=search
      ROTARY Monza AS 1902.pdf
    • By DouglasSkinner
      I have an ETA 2750 movement and I need to replace the mainspring.  My catalogs don't cover this caliber.  The current mainspring, based on my measurements has the dimensions Dennison (Metric), W: 5 1/2 (1.45 mm), T: 9 (0.13 mm), L: ~ 14 1/2" (368 mm).  However, due to its age and the fact that it's been serviced before I'm not completely sure the old spring is the correct one.  So my first question is are these the right dimensions for the proper mainspring for the 2750?
      My second question is does anybody know some part or catalog numbers for the correct mainspring by some different manufactures of springs, such as Marco, Nu Vigor, Sandsteel, etc.?  I have some cabinets of mainsprings from which I might be able to get one but I need to know the a catalog/part number--some number I can cross reference to what I have.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks.
    • By rduckwor
      I'm looking for a replacement mainspring for an old Elgin movement.  CousinsUK seems to me to have the best "look-up" feature UNLESS your search comes up empty.  The original spring is 0.1MM X 1.25 MM X roughly 270MM in length.  this of course turns up nothing.  What variable do you start with that is least injurious to the movement and accuracy when you must locate a substitute mainspring. I understand that heaight and length are rather fixed variables.  Can I go up slightly in strength without too much badness happening?

Thanks,

RMD