Screws for back of Raymond Weil model 9816 watch

I own a Raymond Weil model 9816 watch bought back in 1992. A jeweller,replacing the battery several years ago, lost one of the original slot headed screws & replaced it with a Philips head type. Over the years,the slot heads have stayed 'good',but the Philps head screws is very worn & the jeweller on my last visit  to have the battery replaced,found it difficult to remove.

Unfortunately,due to my now having cancer in one lung,i can no longer journey into Manchester to have batteries fitted to my several watches - i'm having to do it myself. I want to replace either the single worn screw & all for of them with new slot heads. Screwed on backs are no problem.

I contacted the Raymond Weil repair guys & they want £19.99 for a single screw,& a further £12 each for the 3 others. Is there any way of finding out the size of the existing screw ?. I have a micrometer which will give me the overall length,the head diameter & the screw length diameter - but it's the thread type that i'm bothered about. Being a Swiss built watch,it'll obviously be of a metric size.

Any help would be invaluable - i'm trying to put the watch back ''as it was' originally. Othe than the 'rogue screw' - it's in excellent condition.

Raymond Weil  9816 1.jpg

Raymond Weil 9816 2.jpg

A close up picture of the screw, and any dimensions you can measure would probably give enough information to figure out what thread is on the screw. Generally speaking, you need to know the outer diameter of the threaded part, and the number of threads per millimeter.

If you take a close up picture, and know at least one dimension with a reasonable degree of precision, you can probably work out the rest from the enlarged picture.

ISO metric threads are detailed here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

Typically metric threads are simpler to work with than imperial ones as there are generally only coarse and fine threads to worry about, but we are assuming it to be metric, which only accurate measuring will confirm.

Hi Andy - Many thanks indeed for your reply. As a former aircraft design & manufacturing engineer - i understand 'how' to size screws - but not ones as tiny as these - they're like dust !!. I don't have a camera capable of taking  photos' with such a high resolution. Even 'micing' one up for the length etc. could result in my loosing one. From what i remember,the threaded portion is only around 2mm in length,& the diameter about 1.5mm.

I'll have a good look at the Wiki. table that you've referred to.

Is there a really good stockist for these type of screws that you would recommend ?. Lots of stuff on Ebay / Amazon etc.,but they seem pretty 'general' & include lots of non-watch screws bolts etc.

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, sashires said:

did you ever solve this? I have exactly the same issue and would love to get it sorted

The OP only visited on the occasion of his question and didn't bother providing any update, that is very common on any forum.

Anyway the correct answer has been given above. Any decent watch repair ship would have no problem fitting generic replacement screws.