What is up with seiko stems??? Anyone Know?

hello, I have an issue with a stem from a seiko 6106 rally diver, I have had the same issue with a 6139 and 6105 as well and ITs totally mind boggling. How could a stem which is made for the same exact watch not fit right in a different case for the same watch? for example i had a 6106 which is mint i fully restored it new factory crystal fully serviced movement all i needed was a stem and crown. I purchased a parts 6106 the exact same model! literally same model 6106-8100 (since no other crown from 6106 is the same as the rally diver version) when i put the stem and crown in the case it is really hard to pull the crown out, yet when i put it back into the old it case its perfect! I had this issue with a 6139 and a 6105 same situation same exact case and model. i cleaned the inside of the tube i greased the washer, i mean what the hell! can someone explain this twighlight zone phenomenon with seiko stems???

If it happens with a given case but not another, then the problem is with the crown / case matching, not the stem.

it can be a size issue, which you can measure, or an alignment issue, which you can identify placing a bit of colored paste and observe where it stays and where it clears by friction.

In both cases a touch with the lathe on the crown may be needed.

its def. an oem crown and both crowns and stems are exactly the same. the movement spacer is perfectly aligned. i never have this problem with any other brand besides seiko its almost as if each crown is manufactured along with their respective case and wont fit right in any other case.

26 minutes ago, saswatch88 said:

its def. an oem crown and both crowns and stems are exactly the same. the movement spacer is perfectly aligned. i never have this problem with any other brand besides seiko its almost as if each crown is manufactured along with their respective case and wont fit right in any other case.

Brand blaming aside, I think that if you go over the steps I've detailed above you should be able to identify the issue exactly.
Of course another way to determine crown / tube "size match" is to try the crown alone in each case, compare the friction you feel. And if isn't that, then is the alignment of the two..

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Brand blaming aside, I think that if you go over the steps I've detailed above you should be able to identify the issue exactly.
Of course another way to determine crown / tube "size match" is to try the crown alone in each case, compare the friction you feel. And if isn't that, then is the alignment of the two..

i tried that, the crown fits fine in the one gets stuck in the other. there is no visible damage to the tubes for both case and crown. i believe the issue to be the outside of the case tube not the inside. i just dont get it. I dont have a lathe so i cant really do any modifying. i guess i will just have no choice but transfer the crystal and bezel to the other case. just sucks because i have to polish the other case and its not mint the like the case i wanted to use.

Edited by saswatch88

59 minutes ago, Melt said:

Interesting. Have you tried the crown and stem in the serviced watch outside the case? Is it still difficult to pull out?

stem and crown operate fine in the movement while outside the case. its an issue with with crown going into the case. it still operates as it should when all together but its really hard to pull the crown out to set the time. i actually need crown pliers to get out you cant even do it with your fingers. and again this is happened with a 6105 case and a 6139 case. i just dont get it

Edited by saswatch88

9 hours ago, saswatch88 said:

i believe the issue to be the outside of the case tube not the inside. i just dont get it. I dont have a lathe so i cant really do any modifying.

Seiko tubes have external threading, which should contact the crown only when you press and turn. So if you try the crown without its gasket and movt, does it slides free?

If so you could try a smaller o ring. 

On 4/26/2019 at 2:09 AM, jdm said:

Seiko tubes have external threading, which should contact the crown only when you press and turn. So if you try the crown without its gasket and movt, does it slides free?

If so you could try a smaller o ring. 

i think thats what i have to do remove the o ring