Intriguing ETA 2678 issue

What I'm confused about is the fact that with all the parts in place it only slips when adjusting the hands clockwise. If I adjust them counter-clockwise it works fine.

I'll try loosening the canon pinion... Out of curiosity what is the correct way to loosen such a canon pinion ?

Are you supposed to slightly pull the 2 tabs that hold the tube outwards or what ?

images-3.jpg

Also I still get the impression that the small steel gear might not engage properly with the minute wheel due to pivoting just slightly. Not sure.

Edited by Chopin

How come the screw is wrong ? How does the screw influence all this ?

What should I be looking at exactly ? How does one know that it's wrong ?

PS: that little plate (that covers the parts) is flat from what I can tell.

Edited by Chopin

lol ..no need to rip your hair off

Unfortunately I didn't have the ETA 2678 at home right now but as happens I got a few ETA 2671 whitch is the same movement except without the day indicator.
I guess the screw is the one I have circled in yellow , on these small movements they actually looks like this when they come brand new.
What you should check is if the day/date dials is moving smooth, if they dont then it might cause the stress to break a tooth on the wheel.
While your at it check the yoke action is nice and crisp, if it's weak the sliding pinion might just tuch the tips and that will break the teeth too.
Since you say it works when you take the cannon pinion out it might just be in the progress to change date/day and just got stuck.

IMG_20190425_195454.jpg

IMG_20190425_195544.jpg

IMG_20190425_195742.jpg

Photo of the screw and plate.

IMG-8144.jpg

It seems like this circled part below is moving just a bit downwards (talking about the tip that holds the gear not the entire part) but only when the hands are adjusted clockwise and only when it reaches the borken tip does the gear that it holds start to slip and not engage with the minute wheel.

IMG-8145.jpg

Also, strangely, if I take a few parts out and put them back it can run well for a few rotations but then something goes bad and the issue begins to repeat. It's as if the canon pinion is smoother and then it becomes a bit stiffer...

Edited by Chopin

What I'm confused about is the fact that with all the parts in place it only slips when adjusting the hands clockwise. If I adjust them counter-clockwise it works fine.

I'll try loosening the canon pinion... Out of curiosity what is the correct way to loosen such a canon pinion ?

Are you supposed to slightly pull the 2 tabs that hold the tube outwards or what ?

images-3.jpg

Also I still get the impression that the small steel gear might not engage properly with the minute wheel due to pivoting just slightly. Not sure.

You shouldn,t pull the two tabs , oil the canon pinion groove that sits between the two tabs, instead.

Clean and lube the date jumper. The min train and date train + date jumper+ day change, should altogether turn nice. Excess resistance and unlevel min train cover/ bridge will cause one gear to ride over the pinion of the other, that has been the case here. I think Mark put some oil on top of min gear in between min gear and its cover.