Sign in to follow this  
wch

Seiko v657-9010 crystal replacement loose

Question

This is my first attempt in replacing a watch crystal.  Watch is Seiko v657-9010.

• After removing crystal, there was tacky/sticky substance on the crystal and the case.  It did not appear to be a gasket.
  • Crystal measures 30mm x 1.5mm.
  • https://boley.de/en/case-parts/seiko/33811.v657-9010 did not show a crystal gasket for this case.
  • The old crystal now fits very loose in the case.  Does Seiko use sealant or glue for this case?  What can I do to secure the crystal?

8 answers to this question

Hi  you will probably find that the crystal has been changed before and the previous repair used a glue, Usually there is a gasket to seal and make water tight. You will have to source a gasket and a crystal and fit as a pair using a crystal press.

The problem is neither boley.de or cousinsuk lists a crystal gasket part number for this case.  Also, the watch was purchased new and should not have been repaired.

Thanks for your response.  The inside diameter of the case opening measures 30.11mm.  Should I buy the gasket based on the watch case or the crystal diameter?

54 minutes ago, jdm said:

The gasket size specifies both inner and outer diameter, so it will match crystal size and case opening. 

However if you want to avoid buying a new crystal then use glue, that way you can do without a crystal press also.