Balance jewel removal question

I have an old watch stripped and have come across a different type of balance jewel that I have not done before. The movement is a Culmina. I have removed the plate and end stone from the lower pivot but the jewel itself is reluctant to come out. The one on the balance cock is secured from the underside. I am very apprehensive about disturbing the hairspring, removing the spring and wheel seems the only way to safely gain access. It might end in disaster. I’m thinking about just cleaning them in situ, not sure how I will lube them again though. I might practice on an old balance then come back to it. I need a better loupe, not to mention steadier hands!  Here are some pictures.

6C2B9CF8-70AF-4166-940C-566B5D4A2AA6.thumb.jpeg.1361588e5d1e0049b90a2fc2a1c14020.jpegF247830D-3034-4854-BB8E-F41D7F92B22D.thumb.jpeg.c0f8d5fc765b721c580ee69f54396fa3.jpeg3F39B0BC-7A1F-4840-A607-6ADD776AEC1D.thumb.jpeg.78430a12315bd32684794510e8a26cb5.jpeg

[mention=4872]Nucejoe[/mention]  Yes it’s in the slot, just not easy to see in the picture.
[mention=4990]nickelsilver[/mention]  Safer to leave them in rather than risk any damage I suppose.  How might I get some lube onto them?  
Thanks.
Lube them like old school cap and hole jewels, assembled, bit of oil in the cup of the hole jewel and feed it through with a thin wire. There are oiling tips made for this, gold handle with replaceable little wire tip, extra tips in the handle. I usually use fine hairspring taper pins though.

End stone and jewel chaton may be sticking togther by some varnished oil. If you feel they are.

I screw the cock back on the mainplate, without the cab springs, place mainplate+cock in jar with a few CC fluid. close the lid ,gently shake to move the fluid round for a min or two, you will see the cab has come off, no longer on the jewel.

The purpose of shock springs is to absorb shocks from end stones, that means end stones are removable. This can,t be rub in jewels since it has got shock springs.

Regards 

Just remove the balance wheel with hairspring and take the cock the cleaning machine... You can soak and shake complete balance in contact cleaner too... Use air blower to rinse it... The result is perfect...

Edited by Asmobrat

Looks like the complete regulator arm comes off??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes this- missed that op was timid about taking the cock apart. The whole regulator comes off, hairspring first of course. Clean, reassemble, then oil assembled.

The two screws just hold the shock spring, don,t seem to have anything to do with the housing. 

I stole this from a jdm post, shows pin and boot of regulator pin. Slot is where your screwdriver goes in, turn to let HS out.

Place the cock on hard flat surface like you show in your pic.

Moving the balance with HS away from the pins by 3 mm wont hurt the HS, but opens the coils apart so your hand has more space to shake without touching the HS.

RegulatorArm_Pin_Boot_Slot.jpg.031db0f6bc92fb81686219e3f4613ec5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

I stole this from a jdm post, shows pin and boot of regulator pin.

I had stolen myself first, If I could remember where I would give credit as it's a great picture.

My idle question,  looks like the balance has regulation screws, so what's the point of having a regulator also?

5 minutes ago, jdm said:

I had stolen myself first, If I could remember where I would give credit as it's a great picture.

My idle question,  looks like the balance has regulation screws, so what's the point of having a regulator also?

Could this balance be a replacement, original balance could have been anulare. Hey I am suppose to ask the questions( the easy part):stuff:. You are to give answers.

32 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Could this balance be a replacement, original balance could have been anulare. 

Right, so I've found:

Which has a smooth rim. But could be that the diabolical Swiss could be that they made some variants with screws to make it look it better, or just different? 

So far as I understand the screws on BW provide a micrometer action to facilitate percision poising and regulation, though not primarely for accuracy in regulation.

Accuracy can effortlessly be regulated by regulator arms. Designer must have sold well the screws- micrometer action of the regulator arm, which by itself is an instrument of percision.

Mobile stud holder, stud carier, could then house the micrometer- screw, as well as facilitating for the impulse jewel to be brought in beat without having to disturb the roller or HS collet.

Put all together for ease of some otherwise painstaking operations.

Regards