Watchmakers Lathe Or Mini Lathe

Even if my is ambition a proper Watchmaker's lathe at this time I don't have the need for one, what I occasionally need to do is working on cases, making tools or parts that are small, but not minuscole, as well learning the use and basic skills. So I went to research on this type of lathes, limited to the ones you can buy new. Below a summary comparison table

Model     Swing over Between  Motor RPM  Spindle Chuck Top    Tailstock     Weight  Price  Notes
           bed mm    centers  Power      Taper    mm   Slide  Taper         Kg 
Proxxon    110        150     100W  800- ER11     50    Yes   Live center   4.5     €450   German Hobbyst quality, many plastic parts
FD 150/E                            5000                      MK0/short                    Zero-adjustable handwheel

SIEG       110        125     150W  100- M14x1    50    Yes   Fixed         13      €435   Chinese Unimat 3 copy, may need adjustment
C0                                  3850                      straight                     Zero-adjustable handwheel

Taig       110        248                3/4"-16  82    $54   Fixed Offset  ?       $360   Also available with ER16 spindle. Great reputation
µLathe II  ext. 165                                           MT1 3/8"-24                  non-adjustable Imperial only handwhells 

Sherline    90        200      60W  70-  3/4"-16  65    $132  MT0           11      $721   Impressive accessory range and literature. package 'A'
4000       ext. 150                 2800                                                   includes faceplate, lathe dog, fixed center, cut tool
                                                                                           drill chuck, arbors. Universal voltage 100-240V

For the Proxxon, the information is mostly available on proxxon.de. I quoted the best price I could find in Europe.
For the SIEG, the best place for information, manual and price (VAT exempt) is axminster.co.uk, the machine is also available on sieg-machines.de, many accessories from arceurotrade.co.uk and littlemachineshop.com, also I've got great help from David Halfpenny which started various forums.
About the Taig, I've quoted a kit without a motor, even if one is available from them it's bit expensive, and perhaps not really recommended. Got great help from Nick the owner of cartertools.com, It's also available in UK/EU from Peter of Peatol.com
The Sherline is well documented on sherline.com

I find that there are some pro and cons for each and haven't made the purchase yet, but the Sherline appears to be a tad above the others. Unfortunately, like the Taig, it's more costly and complicated to get outside the US.

In that size I like the U3 as well.  I've I think I have 16 lathes at the moment from a 5200lb DSG down to a 6mm Lorch (that's just the keepers list, and yes I think its a disease) so don't really need it, but there's just something about the U3 that I like.   I don't see the Sieg as a U3 copy, similar shape and size but it doesn't look like a copy.   

Edited by measuretwice

One (or two) nice things about Sherline is they have a screwcutting attachment, which could be nice for making casebacks and many other things, and if I'm not mistaken they offer a hardened spindle and higher bearing class upgrade which is cool. Their chucks are surprisingly good and affordable and I think they offer them in the Unimat spindle thread.

2 hours ago, measuretwice said:

I don't see the Sieg as a U3 copy, similar shape and size but it doesn't look like a copy.   

Most people describes it like that. From what I've researched all specs are virtually identical, except for the chuck register of 15mm instead of 14. I like that is cheap, easy to get and it comes with base and screen, however from the net some (early ?) units came out with problems.

s-l1600.jpg

Below the emco-unimat-3-lathe-with-milling-attachm

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, measuretwice said:

I didn't realized how many Sieg models there are

If one had to buy SIEG the C0 would probably be an opinable choice. Bigger models aren't that much bigger, but come with a lot more power, flexibility for a modest price increase. I've included the C0 because it's the smaller and more comparable to the others. They used to make a concoction named NL1 but I'm not included it due to many negative review.s  Too bad because I kind of liked it.

NL1-150-W-Nano-Tornio-SIEG-N1-Mini-Torni

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

One (or two) nice things about Sherline is they have a screwcutting attachment, which could be nice for making casebacks and many other things,

Correct.
This low-cost attachment enables you to machine thirty-six different unified thread pitches (Pitch range from 80 to 5 threads per inch) and twenty-eight different metric thread pitches (Pitch range from .25 to 2.0 mm). It also allows you to cut them as either left-hand or right-hand threads.

3100_pic-468x351.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got myself a Sieg C0. Certainly not a watchmaker's lathe, but it has many pro for what I intend to do.

After few hours cleaning and smoothing it  I took my first cut on alloy using a SS BBQ skewer. I was able to easily part off a washer less than 1mm thick.I 'm very keep on learning on how to use it at its best!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

OK, I got myself a Sieg C0. Certainly not a watchmaker's lathe, but it has many pro for what I intend to do.

way to go, I think they are a nice lathe.  imo its quite a different format and function than a watchmakers lathe.  A watchmakers lathe is great for in close with loupe and graver, but your's is imo more useful for general machining, tools, clock stuff, etc - you really need both :).  Be sure to post some of your work!

Edited by measuretwice

• 2 weeks later...
 I’m looking for advice about how to repair/replace headstock bearing fo my G Boley 11195 - Germany lathe
Thanks in advance. 
03D5C351-6A33-45A3-816E-712455A3A4BB.thumb.jpeg.030c7c902a99484285803a46e541bbcd.jpeg

I have a book on reconditioning the headstock. Basically grinding in smooth again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 hours ago, jdrichard said:

I have a book on reconditioning the headstock. Basically grinding in smooth again.

What's the book?  Its easy say, near impossible to do without a lot of special equipment.  I believe the manufactures used special angled fixtures of their contrivance.  I'm not sure there is a bigger machining challenge than getting a bi conical section mating to another to  a high standard of finish and accuracy. 

but, imo, the starting point is whats the symptom/observation.  If its just some very light scoring that might be taken out with fine stones (Arkansas or red ones, are ruby something)?

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 1

What's the book?  Its easy say, near impossible to do without a lot of special equipment.  I believe the manufactures used special angled fixtures of their contrivance.  I'm not sure there is a bigger machining challenge than getting a bi conical section mating to another to  a high standard of finish and accuracy. 
but, imo, the starting point is whats the symptom/observation.  If its just some very light scoring that might be taken out with fine stones (Arkansas or red ones, are ruby something)?

I’ll get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 5:42 AM, jdm said:

Correct.
This low-cost attachment enables you to machine thirty-six different unified thread pitches (Pitch range from 80 to 5 threads per inch) and twenty-eight different metric thread pitches (Pitch range from .25 to 2.0 mm). It also allows you to cut them as either left-hand or right-hand threads.

3100_pic-468x351.jpg

This is what I use and love it, but my small Sherline is a Model 4000. Very accurate and refined compared to the Emco SL that I had.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 5:30 PM, measuretwice said:

Be sure to post some of your work!

Since you asked... new plastic "tires" for the workbench drawers :biggrin: Yes they look well used already!

DSC_0051.thumb.JPG.50edc209c684527e0e6e724d2f9161ad.JPG

More seriously, I managed to restore a corroded caseback, something I dreamed to do since a long time. Will post about it separately. The machine is just two times the value of the watch, a good investment I'd say.

I'm happy about the machine so far, got few books and accessories, and a retired machinist (from Cuba nevertheless) to teach me. We will see how my project will go.

Did you know you can get a fine feed for milling this

Like this? 

https://www.emcoshop.at/en/emcosparepartssuppliesturninglathesemcounimat3supplies/1722-lathesemcocompact5suppliesemcoverticalfinefeedattachment.html

It's only for the milling head attachment I think. But rather than that I'm getting a TAIG attachment, Z axis vice. 

Edited by jdm