• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• There is one itsy-bitsy problem with the picture though? It appears to be the balance wheel isn't in the watch? Yes I know when it's in the watch it's really really hard to see it's easier to see if it's out of the watch but if it's rubbing touching bumping and causing an issue that is usually in the watch not when it's out of the watch. So the problem occurs in the watch that is where you need to look at it. Out of the watch the balance wheel is not in its alignment with both pivots it usually can lean a little bit. So ideally when you're looking at a problem like this you should be looking at it in the watch for the most part.
    • It looks pretty good to me (Said the idiot that totally trashed a hairspring doing a VERY SIMPLE JOB yesterday).   My suggestion would be to look elsewhere for the low amplitude issues BEFORE you even consider touching the HS.    Mainspring, train freedom, dirt, pivots, etc.  HS work is difficult at best. Good Luck, RMD
    • An excellent book to look out for that goes into great detail on the repair and restoration of carriage clocks is "The Carriage Clock: A Repair and Restoration Manual" by Laurie Penman it is a comprehensive book on the subject and can be picked up quite cheap on Ebay.
    • Well it looks like the Winner is a winner, or at least well within spec. The Chinese standard movement is generally listed as +/-30 sec per day, although it is available with different performance specs. Dial up Dial Down. The worst I get is -25 (crown left), although it does take a little while to settle down when changing positions. With a little tweaking, we could get those numbers to around +/- 10 sec per day, but I'm going to stick with this. Not too shabby for what it is.     
    • I'm backing up what jdm has pointed out. Keep selling away from this forum, if not I will lock this thread. Thanks jdm for pointing this out.