• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hello everyone, I continue to be very appreciative of the great advice I've received so far from this forum on a variety of topics. Here's another hands question: The Bergeon 30464 Hand Gauge Watchmakers Tool seems like a great tool for quickly measuring and categorizing hand gauges. Its smallest measurement is 0.30 mm, however. How does one measure smaller second hand gauges? The best thing I can think of would be to use a micrometer on the hand pinions, but given the small difference between, say, a 0.27mm gauge and a 0.25 gauge, there seems to be a lot of room for error with a micrometer. Thanks, as always, for any suggestions! -- Dan  
    • I've got my propane torch, my IR thermometer, my brass scarf, my brass heating box, and my polishing stuff all either here or on the way.  I honestly didn't think that finding steel hands was going to be the hard part! *grin* I can practice a lot with screws and old blued hands, but if I want to actually make usable hands I'm going to need to figure out a supplier. Interestingly, Esslinger has been super quick to reply to my parts inquiries. My inquiry about what makes up their "silver" hands has been met with silence, so I agree they're likely to be some kind of mystery anodized or coated base metal. This has been, and will continue to be, a fascinating exercise. I'm going to be cross-posting on the NAWCC forums, since there's a lot of good heat-bluing info there. Maybe someone will have a good supplier they'll be willing to share.
    • "The Dead Accurist Society."
    • So basically buy the nastiest rat rod basket case you can find for the cheapest, get it running and post on the 404? Is that how I understand it?