• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Have these two on the bench this week, thought it was a funny contrast. The left is the Lemania 5100, perhaps the epitome of industrialization and use of injection molded plastic in a mechanical chronograph; almost the whole chrono mechanism is on the dial side, under an acrylic plate that supports the date rings. Vertical clutch with nylon gearing in it, plastic all over. Extremely reliable however! This one had suffered some sort of chemical exposure in the past, with pock marks in the rhodium plating and harsh staining on the barrel great wheel. Ended up running fine with 11 second delta in 6 positions.   The right hand one is a Longines 30CH, one of the most beautiful chronos ever made in my opinion. This one was in fine shape other than a non-original, ugly, and nonfunctional minute counter jumper. The one present in the photo is the replacement I made. This beauty had a whopping 16 second delta, and still hit near 270 degrees amp at 24 hours. Amazing.    
    • found this watch in a house clearance -  on the watch case is says the Franklin mint c 1989,  I think some of the watch could be gold but not sure ,  As you can see it looks in very bad shape and I am not sure if it is repairable  .  from what I can see there is Rust on some parts from possible water getting in - the front glass is missing from the watch  -     At the moment I have been learning on a cheap  ETA 6498  watch  so I have limited experience in watch repair,  so I might keep this watch  until I have  gain more knowledge of watch repairs .  As for the back case I think its a pop off  type but it feels stuck on and so far I cant get the case off,  so any advise on this watch and what I should do with it  will be very appreciated , if its just scrap I might just use it to learn on now  or for parts .
    • The cleaner,  ammonia is a active ingredient so does smell , its about £18.00 per litre as apposed to £30.00  a litre for Horolene and I can detect no difference in cleaning performance, it is used at a ratio of one part cleaner to 7 parts water, just as Horolene is, I always buy it direct from their Ebay shop and get a 10ml J.D Windles clock oil thrown in.
    • Hi all i am new to the forum and watch and clock repair, can anyone help me how to open a Hermle clock mainspring barrel so i can inspect and clean the spring the ones i have seen just pop off i can't find one like this, see photo thanks Willow
    • Hello Rogart, and thank you for the generous offer. After a quick look on ranfft it does appear that 12.68N does have a quite a bit larger pivot, as the dimensions listed are "1.6 x 1.00 x 0.22mm", while the 12.68Z has "1.32 x 0.75 x 0.22mm". So unless I am missing something, I'm assuming they wouldn't fit very well. I did measure the lenght of my hands, 10.9mm on the hour, and 14.75mm on the minute, roughly as the metal looks quite brittle, and I didn't want to mash it in my caliper. I am curious if the lenghts are similar to the 12.68N.