• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Welcome, i take it your'e not in Alabama.
    • you could add an extender.
    • Hi, i'm from Birmingham but now live in Bromsgrove, I worked for F.W. Leesons in 1968 doing clock repairs but now only repair them for friends and family. Looking forward to reading more on this forum. Tony
    • I probably wouldn't case harden a part like that, easier to grab a piece of tool steel, heat and quench.  Because the centre is still ductile, case hardened parts are not usually tempered and you don't want dead hard threads, they're brittle.  I'd probably make it from a steel that could be through hardened.  Where it shines is when you want parts with a dead surface bu still have the flexibility of a ductile centre As for recipes etc, I have enough knowledge to understand the application insofar as use and design goes, but I've always sent parts out to commercial heat treaters for case hardening.....so don't often do so unless there is some specific advantage to casehardened the part.  Lots of info out there for you uncover, I'm just not the guru on specific pack hardening recipes.  Bone meal is one, but I understand it stinks something fierce so would be better done outdoors.  That, and you need a away to hold the steel above the critical temp during the soak There is a quick and dirty approach, but you'll only get a few thou or so depth with a couple treatments.  You get the piece red hot with a propane torch and roll the piece around in Kasenit.  It does work for wear, but its not very deep.  I have done that method many times.  Kasenit isn't made anymore, but I understand there's a replacement. Just for interest, here's some model hit and miss engine parts I did a Kasenit case hardening on
    • OK. Suppose I have a  dia. 6mm x 50mm shaft, cut and threaded that I want to case harden entirely, do you have a practical recipe, step by step and with all the times, materials and tools? I don't care which color it takes as I assume I can blacked it with a "magic" liquid. l also want to get a booklet about this, but if it doesn't it has the.approach above it will be useless to me.