Greetings from NYC

Hi all,

My name is Jim. I recently came into the possession of a couple of vintage watches and I’ve come across this forum as I’ve been trying to figure out how to get one of my watches running. I have zero experience with any of this but I’m very intrigued and admire your passion for watches and repair/restoration. I’m a woodworker by trade so I understand quality, appreciate the old ways, and really like vintage things, machines, tools etc. Thanks for reading!

my goal is to get the Timex in the attached photos running. I just think it’s very beautiful and the thought of some crappy quartz movement swap-out kills me. Not gonna do that!

FDF51CFF-6B4C-4BDC-811C-674FB19A1F86.jpeg

4A7C9602-8E21-45B4-9FC4-DC3923863B53.jpeg

Well dear friend you are welcome to forum... 

First you have to get basic watchmaker tools like screwdrivers, tweezers and movement holder... You can find all on eBay...  Before attempting to repair, please watch Mark's videos with extreme caution...  Then make some practice on cheap movements, if you don't want to be disappointed with a simple fault. Especially if your watch is valuable... 

Ask any problem you encountered and enjoy the forum please...  

Emy.... 

Hi Jim, welcome to the happy factory. Loads of excellent advice on this forum from some really knowledgeable people. The answers are just a question away. When I said lots of knowledgeable people I wasn't including myself. 

• Like 1

Welcome to happy valley Jim In answer to you question Regarding the Timex The member on here with the timex knowledge is Jerseymo who has all the service manuals etc. As Asmobrat states before delving in first look at Marks videos and get a handful of reasonable tools, screw drivers tweezers and loupe or two to start with.  Timex were designed to be cleaned as is, removing the dial and hands just leaving the raw movement, Cleaning with benzine, Lighter fuel, or carburettor cleaner blowing dry with air and light lubrication (use the correct oils) anything other will lead to problems in the long run. Having done all that enjoy the experience. Any questions just post them we are all here to help