6497 Second Wheel Pinion Removal

Hello

On my  ETA 6497 clone the second wheel has a pinion that prevents it from passing through the jewel and removing the wheel from the movement. I've read elsewhere that a pair of nail clippers can be used to cut the stem! Is this the preferred method or are there other suggestions? Also if I remove / cut / shorten the 2nd wheel stem, where does the second hand go or can any second hand be installed into the modified second wheel?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

PS. This is the first movement I've ever taken apart and put back together. It may also be the first movement I destroy; only time will tell! All in all it's been a good experience and I've managed to re-capture all flying objects except for the click spring screw!

There should be nothing to prevent removal of that wheel.

A photo of the pinion (not stem!) would give us some idea of what is preventing removal. Do not cut it!

The 6497 is a great starting movement to work on, good luck.

Hello

I looked at this again and was easily able to pull the pinion off the second wheel. I believe it was a "spacer" to allow for the second hand (that came with the movement) to be installed. When it comes time to add a replacement second hand I'll need one that has a hole of about .25mm (according to my digital caliper). I can't use the spacer as it was pinched while being removed. The second wheel pinion doesn't have a hole in it to install a pin type second hand. I hope I'm explaining myself well enough. Does what I've written make sense? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Michael

Hello 

I forgot to add the specification sheet for the ETA 6497-2 doesn't give a pinion measurement for the second wheel. The only measurement I'm able to get is the one via my caliper and I don't know how accurate this would be as I haven't tried to source any hands and try them out. Don't know that I will buy any hands as this is a practice movement. 

On 4/17/2019 at 5:38 AM, mcoulton said:

On my  ETA 6497 clone the second wheel has a pinion that prevents it from passing through the jewel and removing the wheel from the movement. I've read elsewhere that a pair of nail clippers can be used to cut the stem!

I think what was meant was to use a nail clipper to pull. There are, of course, specific tools for that.