Cuckoo. It’s quiet around here.

Squiffything

1 hour ago, JimmyD said:

Everyone is to busy working on clocks.

How did you go with the bellows.

Not great, I tried scraping back the leather but it wouldn’t get thin enough and ripped in a few places. No good. I then tried some stuff from an old deed envelope that I had. Bore paper like but stronger, it was getting there but still to stiff and wouldn’t fall correctly. So I bit the bullet and ordered some correct papers from Cousins. Also ordered the replacement chains for the little one. The old one has odd sized chains (43.5 links per inch) which they have in stock at £19 each! Sod that I will make do with the old ones they will clean up ;)

40 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Which type do you have the weight driven or the old spring wind up?

Both are weight driven.

Firstly I have a big old one. I believe it’s a Hubert Herr from the early 1900’s. One day two chain and weight, 5 leaf and bird with a lyre case movement. (Thanks Jimmy). 

The second is another Hubert Herr, much smaller with three chain and weights. Two door with cuckoo and sitting man and a music box playing Rosen aus dem Suden Walzer and Kalser Walzer. Not as old as the first but still with a lyre case movement. Both movements predate the more current rack and snail type chime setup.

I have both running on the time train although with missing parts or bellows that need repairs I am at a standstill until the bits arrive.

I took the music box section and had this working with the little guy popping out so the mechanism for that is all there.

Edited by Squiffything

Hi Squiffy  regarding bellows paper, when I did  my regula 8Day clock up like you the bellows were totalled  and the paper was in short supply so got some bellows heads from Copusin's then had a look round as to what to repair the old ones with. I had some old DIY overalls made from Tyvek a durable light weight material and after a bit of research found that it is what is sold for doing these repairs so I tackled the old heads, No problem worked a treat so If you want a bit for future use just PM me and I will send you a bit.    There are patterns on the net for cutting out the cloth.  The old bellows were usually made from parchment / deer skin  both in short supply now, The deer belong to the crown so no poaching or you end up in the Tower.

Thanks for that WW. I will PM you soon. I attempted to fix the bellows using soft leather from an old jacket. To thick to allow the bellows to fall although worked on a push

i tried scraping but it still wouldn’t fall right and the leather kept ripping.

Edited by Squiffything

34 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I had some old DIY overalls made from Tyvek

+1 on the Tyvek. I picked up a set of disposable Tyvek overalls at a car boot sale for that specific purpose. It worked a treat.

13 hours ago, Squiffything said:

The old one has odd sized chains (43.5 links per inch) which they have in stock at £19 each! Sod that I will make do with the old ones they will clean up

Do you mean per foot? You also have the hooks the wrong way round on the old one, the small hoop end goes on the chain and the large end on the weight so you can take the weight off and the chain does not end up running out of the movement.

3 hours ago, Squiffything said:

They are both coming along nicely and it appears I did something right as the both work!

You are doing a lot right and learning along the way

We only learn from the mistakes and I have done plenty over the years. I did a whopper yesterday, however it is for a new post when I fix it. :pulling-hair-out:

Those cuckoo clocks look real nice. When I was a kid my aunt had a cuckoo clock and every time I visited I wanted to see the cuckoo come out. I'll have to get one someday. In the meantime I have some plans for a scrollsawn one to work with a quartz movement.  It should look real sweet if I ever get around to making it ( the plans have been sitting for 10 years same as the movement, dial etc). 

I havent been this motivated to dust off the old scrollsaw and get back to making things. I went and dusted off the plans for it. This is what it looks like but if the various parts are stained different colors it will look amazing.

IMG_20190422_170256.jpg