Got a visit from the screw-up fairy today while working on my Seiko Kinetic

Darak

Hi all, 

Got a new old stock Seiko Kinetic SMY111 few days ago, it was made in 2015, running a 5M63 movement, feel like the watch is not holding charge, put it on a home made winder for two days(see video), before it was put on to the winder it had 1/3 of charge, after two days on the winder, the charge stay the same at 1/3, so it’s not holding charge for sure.

But before I go ahead and order the battery, I like to know if the 4146518 generating rotor is still good and it is(see photo), I remember Mark fixed a Kinetic watch on YouTube before, the battery is not holding charge as well and the generating rotor is bad.

Assembled the watch back, I slipped and hit the 4002516 coil block with the screwdriver(see photo), I’m using a cheap and big screwdriver from a watch kit, using my Fluke DMM, I determined the coil block is dead, you can also see I measure the 4002514 generating coil block, it's still good(see photo).

Question, I need to buy the 4002516 coil block and a set of affordable but nice quality screwdrivers set, where can I get these? any recommendations? Thanks for your time.

83E1B243-A8C5-4D26-8046-56FEF47A1536.jpeg

274C2162-03B6-490B-A1B3-201BB3E58985.jpeg

3463104A-89C1-4977-BE80-682749EF0330.jpeg

BEBAE55D-3630-4C07-81BB-557026CF537A.jpeg

C0376ACE-A469-4C28-AFCC-7FD5843A4A62.jpeg

CA5CB72B-9A02-49D8-A7B8-57199D5B0C3E.jpeg

3E620404-D666-44A9-84AE-1503ECC0D600.jpeg

05F93DE7-21AF-4BA3-A7E5-7D1201299823.jpeg

81F3F9BD-BCD3-453E-A320-D0A378F26BB1.jpeg

9AA2C449-3EBD-4CE3-AAAE-7EB6BDAA9C33.jpeg

Could be that i have a coil. But i think you can buy it from say Jules borel or Ofrei? Could find it on Ebay to. https://www.ebay.com/p/Seiko-Kinetic-Bobine-Coile-Spule-5m62-5m63-5m65-4002514/1081349779

Seiko number is 4002514 or 4002516. Don't know the difference but Boley.de says both. https://www.boley.de/en/caliber/watchmovements/hattory-seiko/7477

Also, my personal experience with using an auto winder for a Kinetic has not worked.  I totally got the same or worse results you did using one.  I finally bought a Seiko Kinetic charger (spendy) and it works very well for charging the Kinetics. 

4 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Could be that i have a coil. But i think you can buy it from say Jules borel or Ofrei? Could find it on Ebay to. https://www.ebay.com/p/Seiko-Kinetic-Bobine-Coile-Spule-5m62-5m63-5m65-4002514/1081349779

Seiko number is 4002514 or 4002516. Don't know the difference but Boley.de says both. https://www.boley.de/en/caliber/watchmovements/hattory-seiko/7477

Hi rogart63,

Thanks for the reply, I saw the eBay one too, soo expensive, and 4002514 is the generating coil block, I brock the 400516 coil block.

Darak

2 minutes ago, Darak said:

Hi rogart63,

Thanks for the reply, I saw the eBay one too, soo expensive, and 4002514 is the generating coil block, I brock the 400516 coil block.

Darak

So that is the difference. I can have a check in the morning and see if i have some old 5m63 watches.  I think i do. And if any of those coils are okay.

4 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Also, my personal experience with using an auto winder for a Kinetic has not worked.  I totally got the same or worse results you did using one.  I finally bought a Seiko Kinetic charger (spendy) and it works very well for charging the Kinetics. 

Hi Khronos,

This is very interesting, I made a search and saw people using a toothbrush charger to charge Kinetic watch, anyway, I'll look into it, but I need to fix the watch first, thanks for the tip.

Darak

1 minute ago, rogart63 said:

So that is the difference. I can have a check in the morning and see if i have some old 5m63 watches.  I think i do. And if any of those coils are okay.

Hi Rogart63,

Do you have some spare part watches? that's awesome, I also look on eBay for cheap 5M63 watches to just get the parts, but I worry to get a watch with not working parts.

Darak

• Like 1

Unfortunately, replacing coils after screwdriver slips is normally annoyingly expensive. Ask me how I know...! It’s part of the learning curve we all go through and I look on it as “beginner tax” !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Pip said:

Unfortunately, replacing coils after screwdriver slips is normally annoyingly expensive. Ask me how I know...! It’s part of the learning curve we all go through and I look on it as “beginner tax” !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Pip,

Yes, I agreed totally, I think I need a good set of a screwdriver, or I'll just keep on breaking stuff, the screwdriver I was using has a big and long handle and tiny a tiny tip, you can see in the photo on the top, really not ideal for this type of jobs.

Darak

36 minutes ago, Darak said:

Hi Rogart63,

Do you have some spare part watches? that's awesome, I also look on eBay for cheap 5M63 watches to just get the parts, but I worry to get a watch with not working parts.

Darak

I got some watches where we tried to fix it . But ended up scraping it as it did run very well. Can have a look when i come home . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

I got some watches where we tried to fix it . But ended up scraping it as it did run very well. Can have a look when i come home . 

Hi Rogart63,

Thanks, looking forward to that.

Darak

Hi Pip,

Yes, I agreed totally, I think I need a good set of a screwdriver, or I'll just keep on breaking stuff, the screwdriver I was using has a big and long handle and tiny a tiny tip, you can see in the photo on the top, really not ideal for this type of jobs.

Darak

Hi Darak,
Screwdrivers and tweezers! We spend so much time with these items that it is totally worth investing in good ones. I learnt that the hard way. I wasted lots of money on cheap tweezers before buying Dumont and a bit in cheap screwdrivers before buying AF. Make the jump and you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Hi Darak   regarding the coil these can be repaired using a silver impregnated epoxy available on the net and ebay, usually used for repairing circuit board tracks when cracked   I fixed an eta using this epoxy ok.. as far as the charge loss there was a note on the net about using and making you own charger from the tooth brush charger all it is is a induction charger using a magnetic field. Might be a cheaper alternative before rushing off and buying the real thing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Khronos said:

Unlike an automatic where the mainspring is wound no matter the speed at which the rotor turns, Seiko Kinetics accumulate charge from short, intense electrical spikes coming from the normal mov.t of the arm, something that normal winders don't reproduce. Kind of a well know fact by Kinetics owners.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Which one was it you needed . Found a short one that is okay . Looks the same as the one you have. Send me a PM and we work something out. 

Hi Rogart63,

I send you a message, please check it out, thanks.

Darak

6 hours ago, Pip said:

Hi Darak,
Screwdrivers and tweezers! We spend so much time with these items that it is totally worth investing in good ones. I learnt that the hard way. I wasted lots of money on cheap tweezers before buying Dumont and a bit in cheap screwdrivers before buying AF. Make the jump and you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Pip,

Yes, I realized after I break this part, it's not worth it to save money not using the right tool for the right job and brake parts that might cost more than the tool, some time the part might not be available for purchase anymore, I was on the edge of buying a set of Bergeon 30081 last week, bought it yesterday.

Darak

4 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Darak   regarding the coil these can be repaired using a silver impregnated epoxy available on the net and ebay, usually used for repairing circuit board tracks when cracked   I fixed an eta using this epoxy ok.. as far as the charge loss there was a note on the net about using and making you own charger from the tooth brush charger all it is is a induction charger using a magnetic field. Might be a cheaper alternative before rushing off and buying the real thing.

Hi Watchweasol,

Thanks for the tip, yes I do use the silver impregnated epoxy fixing tiny PCB boards before, I’m a electronic engineer, but I brake not one but 3 to 5 wires, it might work, considering this coil might have 2000 wind of coils and I short out 5 of them, I’ll try that if I can’t get the part in a reasonable price.

Darak

3 hours ago, jdm said:

Unlike an automatic where the mainspring is wound no matter the speed at which the rotor turns, Seiko Kinetics accumulate charge from short, intense electrical spikes coming from the normal mov.t of the arm, something that normal winders don't reproduce. Kind of a well know fact by Kinetics owners.

Hi Jdm,

Nice to see you here, that's very interesting, and I can see why, to able to change the battery/capacitor, the charging voltage needs to be higher than the capacitor voltage, a constant rotation will not provide a high voltage spike, I don't think Seiko had built in a step-up voltage circuit in this tiny watch PCB, I might be wrong, but this Kinetic technology was built decades ago, if I remember correctly, the micropower harvesting technology is still a very new thing made by Texas Instruments.

Darak