How to extend a sub seconds hand shaft/pivot

Hi everyone,
I'm restoring an Omega Moonphase Cosmic with subseconds hand (Cal 381).
It was missing the seconds hand when I got it (Pic of example watch)
I've put a pic of the 4th wheel.

My seconds hand that I sourced from Blake at Scotchwatch is too short in the shaft (hahaha!). It fits the wheel perfect, but unfortunately due to thickness of dial, etc. It doesn't reach the pivot.

Can I easily extend this? Replacement parts are unavailable.

I was thinking of buying 0.2mm inner diameter brass pipe (if something as thin as a gnats $#%) exists! and soldering it on/epoxying to the shaft.
The hole in dial is large so I basically want the seconds hand to fit well and function - I don't care about the appearance underneath.

How do I go about this? Anyone able to turn a brass sleeve/collar to fit. I could post the hand to the right hobbyist and see if you can fix it?

Cheers
Alex

416491-58174d66d8677195d36e3b4be3f00f3b.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l50220.jpg

hi there, i am currently working on this watch at the moment (or shall is say over the last 3 years ) - everything was broken on it!.

I have sourced the second hand last year and yes it is extremely extended, i will take a look at where i source it.  The brass collar may work depending on your skill level on that accepts the hand and then fits into to pinion.

IMG_20190415_134205.jpg

11 hours ago, jnash said:

hi there, i am currently working on this watch at the moment (or shall is say over the last 3 years ) - everything was broken on it!.

I have sourced the second hand last year and yes it is extremely extended, i will take a look at where i source it.  The brass collar may work depending on your skill level on that accepts the hand and then fits into to pinion.

IMG_20190415_134205.jpg

Wow that dial is pristine. Mine had a rust hole and I got it refinished (badly) still has a dent in the bottom near the sub dial.
Any ideas where I could source a dial?
I missed one in Belgium on ebay for $150 earlier because I thought mine was salvageable.

Let me know if you find out where you sourced it. Great to finally have a photo though!!!!! Cheers

12 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

Wow that dial is pristine. Mine had a rust hole and I got it refinished (badly) still has a dent in the bottom near the sub dial.
Any ideas where I could source a dial?
I missed one in Belgium on ebay for $150 earlier because I thought mine was salvageable.

Let me know if you find out where you sourced it. Great to finally have a photo though!!!!! Cheers

pm'd

On 4/17/2019 at 12:16 AM, AndyHull said:

One way I was considering, to extend a sub second hand (for those cases where some previous owner has snapped the end off the pinion for example), was to use the shaft of a hypodermic needle. I haven't had the time to try it yet, but I suspect if you can source the correct needle gauge, it should work.

Great idea! I will give it a go. Luckily I have access to needles as I am a nurse.

14 hours ago, AlexeiJ1 said:

Great idea! I will give it a go. Luckily I have access to needles as I am a nurse.

Let us know how you get on. in particular, how you cut the needle (which will presumably be hardened stainless steel, and will probably need something like a Dremel cutting wheel to cut it straight, accurately and  flush), and how you affix it to the hand.

• 9 months later...

I have the same problem where the tip of the pivot is broken off. I want to try extend the boss on the second hand by cutting off a short piece of an old pivot and glue that into the second hand so that it just protrudes. Then take a piece of the boss from an old second hand and glue that on the reworked second hand. This may extend it too far...