Where to buy second hand tools (besides ebay)

Tmuir

I'm after upgrading some of my more expensive tools and I am wondering if there are any second hand watchmaker tool sellers in the UK.

I'm aware of a couple in the USA, but postage from USA to Australia seems generally to be higher than the UK, so if possible would prefer to buy from the UK.

Buying expensive second hand tools off ebay always comes with some level of risk and would happily pay a bit more from a reputable second hand tool dealer in the UK if any exist.

To stay within the forum rules, all I'm looking for is a website that lists tools for sale, not offers to sell me your spare tools.

Thanks

I dont know what the situation is in Australia with local auction house's but I have had a lot of tools from them at give away prices, I am fortunate in the U.K to be a member of a site called saleroom that collates all weekly auction catalogues and can check to see what is available or coming up at auction, from my local auction house in leeds I have had a full jeweling tool set for £40.00 a very good staking set for £40.00 and a watchmakers lathe, along with many useful sundries.

They do turn up at regular intervals so I check every week, I do not know if there is a similar sites in your neck of the woods, but should imagine you have quite a few auction houses in Australia, A lot of what you see on ebay comes straight from such auctions and gets listed with unseemly haste, by enterprising profiteers.

I do not know of any specific second hand tools sellers other than Pennyfarthing Tools and Hansen Chard Antiques.

Also you mention Ebay for tools it is worth using German ebay and using google translator and learning the German names for tools because there are far more dealers in Germany specifically selling Horological tools than any where else I know and they tend to be cheaper than any other country, they will not show up in ebay English site searches for tools when using English names and terms for tools example:

Triebnietmaschine = staking set

uhrmacher drehbank = watchmakers lathe

Spannzange= Collets

• Like 1

Thanks for the German translation.

I do sometimes search ebay Germany but have been relying on Google translate and only getting mixed results.

At least in Perth Western Australia watchmakers tools at auction houses are pretty rare as I guess there just aren't as many for sale in Australia.

You can see the same on Ebay Australia, you do a search using the word 'watchmaker' and set it for used items on in Australia and it gets 54 hits today, same search on Ebay UK gets 364 hits.

• 2 weeks later...

The online classified have been all the rage here for ages, you don't have a kijiji,  craiglist or similar?

I've probably bought 4 or 5 complete watchmakers kits, retired and estates, over the years.  Two of which were phenomenal, the guys must have been toolaholics like yours truly.  After selling the duplicates back into the system I kind of have at east one of most everything and at a very low cost base.  The downside is time......like the cliche, you want it fast, high quality and low price, pick two

Edited by measuretwice