Hello from the Isle of Wight, UK

N0bby

Hi everyone! 

I'm a mid-fifties chap from the Isle of Wight, and I finally got round to getting a bit of a watch hobby (oh okay, obsession) going quite recently. As a result, I've been buying movements and inexpensive automatic watches, with a view to collecting and modding/servicing them myself. I am just at the very beginning of getting a feel for working on such a small scale. 

I really enjoy watching and listening to Mark's videos, and pretty much all I know about the workings of watches so far has been informed by his tutorials.

Today I accidentally amused my granddaughter by replacing the hands on a movement so that the hours and minutes didn't work at all; she christened it "Popsie's Nonsense Watch"... 

I look forward to continuing to expand my knowledge on forums such as this one.

• Like 1

Welcome Nobby.
Although I live at the opposite end of the world (Tasmania, Australia), my mother comes from the IoW (Shalfleet) and I've spent a little time on the island.
Take heart, I'm a low level tinkerer who has certainly made things worse in the past, but I've also completed a number of successful services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and thanks for the welcome. tritto, it's always nice to hear from people living in far-flung parts of the world who know the Island. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying myself so far, and hopefully my knowledge and ability will build little by little as I aim to reach the "not totally incompetent" level of tinkering.

• Like 1

BTW, I'm determined currently to stay at the "totally incompetent" stage for a good long while, having so far scored 2 for 2 on pulling off the second hand pinion while removing the hands from a movement.

Mark makes it look so easy, removing all three at the same time.

I then read elsewhere (after my second mishap), "always remove the second hand first, and then the minute and hour hands". Yes, I'll give that a try next time...

17 hours ago, N0bby said:

BTW, I'm determined currently to stay at the "totally incompetent" stage for a good long while, having so far scored 2 for 2 on pulling off the second hand pinion while removing the hands from a movement.

Mark makes it look so easy, removing all three at the same time.

I then read elsewhere (after my second mishap), "always remove the second hand first, and then the minute and hour hands". Yes, I'll give that a try next time...

I always remove the three hands together with a presto tool, only once in many hundreds I got the second hand tube separated. That, I think, would have happened even if used levers (as Mark does), or pulled the second hand alone, because the force is on the same point anyway. By simple logic, that should be the case even if the pinion separated from the wheel, but with the small parts and forces involved it's difficult to tell for sure. 

jdm, the unfortunate thing in this case is that I went ahead with the levers, broke the second hand pinion, and then a little later found the presto tool that I'd bought a couple of weeks ago and had completely forgotten I now owned. 

Which points to another thing I really must do - get my tools properly organised!