Best way of attack ?

Hi all, I have just dug out this elderly Favre Leuba twin power in the hope of reserecting it. It won't wind and is pretty gummed up and dirty. I have stripped it down and marked the springs in case they are different? As it's brass (I think) I am not sure as to what is the best way of cleaning it up ? I have taken photos and enclosed a few for your opinions as to how to go about it. Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20190413_220430.jpg

IMG_20190413_223351.jpg

IMG_20190413_220333.jpg

IMG_20190413_222407.jpg

IMG_20190413_220344.jpg

I give it numeriois clean.

First, Soak in kerosene for several days and brush, kerosene is brass friendly for life, gives off bad oader, dosn,t evaporate but the lid on the jar,, then soak in paint thinner like  ten mins and brush after each soak,  Every part including the regulator arm is got to come off, I even brush the jewel housing. Keep repeating, three our four good brushing, soak - brush , this brings the shine back, no power drill to brush, just manual. tooth brush would be the roughtest brush you use on plates and bridges. You will start to see clean shiny parts perhaps after three or four clean.

Once looks clean, it is ready to go into your cleaning machine or general cleaning so to speak. This jewel is worth it.  

Best wishes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I give it numeriois clean.

First, Soak in kerosene for several days and brush, kerosene is brass friendly for life, gives off bad oader, dosn,t evaporate but the lid on the jar,, then soak in paint thinner like  ten mins and brush after each soak,  Every part including the regulator arm is got to come off, I even brush the jewel housing. Keep repeating, three our four good brushing, soak - brush , this brings the shine back, no power drill to brush, just manual. tooth brush would be the roughtest brush you use on plates and bridges. You will start to see clean shiny parts perhaps after three or four clean.

Once looks clean, it is ready to go into your cleaning machine or general cleaning so to speak. This jewel is worth it.  

Best wishes.

Hi NuceJoe and thank you, watch parts sitting in a jar of petrol now ! Will follow your advice. Being brass I wasn't sure what to do and didn't want to ruin it through ignorance. Hopefully I can get it running again. Thanks for your best wishes. 

Diesel fuel would work too, brushing in solvent helps. I use several solvent seperately, each will do some good.

Long time soak in paint thinner or carburator cleaner is harmful.

Paint brush is suitable for use on gears, pinions.

Shellack on pallet jewels and impulse are is susceptible to damage by solvents. 

I am talking ebauche and gears cleaning only. 

Picture shows Shock springs on cock and the mainplate diferent, should be the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnnie said:

As it's brass (I think) I am not sure as to what is the best way of cleaning it up?

Virtually all watch plates are made of brass or similar alloy, then may be plated with different finishing.
Anyway petrol and alcohol based solvent are good to clean but will not make it shine the best. For that, if it matters to you, use ammonia based solutions, either off the shelf or you cold make your own with household products, in any case be careful to avoid high concentration or long baths.

• Like 1

Very true,

No matter how hign tech the plating on the base metal, there are pores or scratches, in the palting, through which solvents can penetrate to chew on the base metal. So one should be concerened with long term soaks with reactive solvents.

kerosene or Diesel fuel don,t chemically react with the base metal, it dose penetrate through the pores  slightly( no reaction), you just remove the penetrated( wetted surface) surface with brush, resoak , brush again, you are cleaning physically, ( no chem reaction) .Solvents chemically reactibe with the base metal, should only be use for  very short time and brushed and rinsed immediately.

You will see some clean by the first brushing, what news I have , is kerosene works. You are not limited to one clean, no harm with second or more clean, Once visibly clean, time for the final clean in your machine or whatever method you choose. 

I am staying with yoir thread, I don,t see why this service can be less than percect.

How dose the rest of the watch look? Dial, hands and case. Rare piece.

Regards 

• Like 1

Hi Joe, the case and crystal are good, the case back is ok but a little scratched, the dial is good but probably it has been refurbished. ??? If it has been refurbished it's been done far better than I could do it, so I'm not complaining. 

IMG_20190414_145855.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Shellack on pallet jewels and impulse are is susceptible to damage by solvents. 

acetone and alcohol should also be avoided when cleaning pallet and roller jewels.

use naphtha (ronsonol lighter fluid) cheap and you dont have to syphon any out of your car lol

Edited by saswatch88
  • Like 2

Done ! And running, it's 02.22 and my eyes are like organ stops. It turned out ok and I am pleased with it. Many thanks for all your help and advice. Ps, it's very good on petrol ! :D

IMG_20190415_020358.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, anilv said:

Great job cleaning it up.. do you have a case ring for it?

I have a similar watch and the case ring was cheap white plastic hacked up to fit. Works but not pleasant to look at.

Anilv

Hi Anilv, that is the only bad thing, when I got the watch the case ring fell out in three pieces. So will try and sort something out for it.

12 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

that is the only bad thing, when I got the watch the case ring fell out in three pieces. So will try and sort something out for it.

That is when one really wants to have a small lathe. Someday...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jdm said:

That is when one really wants to have a small lathe. Someday...

That's for sure Jdm, At present I have "the basics" my next three things have GOT to be are Mark's course, a timegrapher, and some sort of parts washer, my mind boggles at all the different tools required. The more I learn from this fantastic forum the more tools I need. Being probably one of the least knowledgeable people on this forum my head spins at times. I freely admit when I joined that I destroyed many cheap eBay purchases that have become my parts department :D but have been successful in rebuilding four Seiko's and that's given me enough pleasure to get more serious. (Now addicted) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

i would place a lathe at the top of the list of things to buy to work on watches.  vin

Indeed so, if I were more knowledgeable Vin, at present I am an enthusiastic tinkerer, so Marks complete course must come first. Aim to subscribe in the within next few weeks !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Johnnie said:

I have just noticed on the left of column there is "a tick, a triangle, and a zero" ? What is that about ? 

The triangle is to vote up an answer.

In the topic index there is a 'pinned' post explaining the Vote Up function.

Anilv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Asmobrat said:

Well... I tried contact cleaner and rinsed with blade oil on Seiko 6309... It worked well... Especially the rust residues...

Contact Cleaner  might  be good  if you remove the balance assembly first.  vin

• Like 1