Magnification?

billknechtel

Hey folks,

I'm trying to figure out a better way to see what I'm doing. I have glasses with progressive lenses. I have a loupe, but dislike holding my work 2 inches from my eye in order to see.  I've heard about optivisors - would they let me have my work at a normal seated position? What about one of those lighted magnifying glasses on a base and a spring arm?  Or perhaps a chinese digital microscope (the kind with a standalone screen, not to plug into a computer)?  I'm still very much a neophyte, so would appreciate your experience and wisdom here.  Thanks Much!

Bill

I've tried everything.  Some excel at certain things better than others, but the best is still a good loupe mounted to your head (vs the eye socket grip which I could never do for any length of time).    The challenge with optivisors (for me) is not enough magnification and not always great optical quality.   The challenge with things not mounted to the head is you lose that ability to change view angle and depth field in split second by a tiny head movement.   I fibbed....one thing I haven't tried is a surgeons magnifiers.  These have a long focal length, and maybe enough magnification.  I have tried them because for a quality set they cost thousands....but I see now cheap offshore ones are on ebay for 10's.  I can't imagine you get much for 20-30 dollars, but then again its cheap to try

Edited by measuretwice

I use a optivisor occasionally when working on a clock because great magnification is not necessary. However for watches I use various strength eyeglasses held with the pressure with my eye socket. I have tried the various eye glass holders and have never been happy with any of them. However it is what suits the individual and many prefer eye glass holders or holders that attach to spectacles. 

• Thanks 1