Nano Oil.

Len33

Hadn't heard of it so I had a quick Google and it seems to be a general purpose oil in a pen type applicator?

I note there are three (at least) oil weight ratings like you'd get with motor oil, now, I don't know the weight ratings of watch oil because they don't list those like motor oils etc but I'd guess it wouldn't be ideal certainly for the high speed low torque pivots but probably OK for things like the barrel arbor?

If you want to try cheaper stuff for practise purposes on your own watches I'd suggest a light machine oil like sewing machine oil or similar for the train wheel pivots and such.

For practise oiling purposes pretty much anything will do to 'get your hand in' but for long term practical use I'd say not.

If possible, I would suggest sticking to the known brands, since they are likely to be stable and predictable over the 5 years plus, that they are expected to work.

If you cannot get them, or you are not too concerned about the quality of the oil as the watch in question is only a practice piece, then you can use sewing machine oil, hair clipper oil, or something similar. Traditionally they even used whale oil.

Motor oil works on clocks too, but that doesn't mean I would recommend it, but I have used it when there was nothing else to hand.

The subject of lubrication has been covered on many, many occasions on this forum. I prefer Moebius oils because they are a tried and tested lubricant. They are not cheap but a 20ml bottle will lubricate a lot of watches.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I havn,t seen a Nano oil marketted by Famous brands, as investment tends towards ceratinty where the same old story of "NEW & IMPROVED" has traditionally worked for advertisement.

Nano like any other research is market driven, I expect to see Nano automobile engine oils continued development daily, but lets face the facts, would you invest on watch oil? 

Best Regards   joe

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Many thanks for your advice (being borne in mind at present) & offer Dell. When I was given the clock the plastic anchor was loose on the arbour (it had split at the 'hole') &, after repairing this, I have been trying to determine whether the spindle (pin) should be perpendicular when the pallet is sitting on a flat surface; or whether, when installed, its L-R extremes (or alternatively its tick & tock points) should lie at equal angles from the vertical when moved with spring absent. I can get the clock to run but in every such configuration the top block has to be turned anti-clockwise (from above) by quite a bit in order to be 'in beat' & it always runs fast (despite the pendulum being set to as slow as possible). This makes me wonder if there is any particular feature of/fault in a torsion spring clock which determines which turn direction (if any) is necessary to get it 'in beat'; & whether there would be a different set of settings that would get it running nearer to time at somewhere around the mid timing/inertia position which would then allow tweaking of the fast/slow setting.
    • Now this has happened I bet China or India just to name two will start to produce none genuine parts.  I did. But idiot Boris Johnson failed miserably in his negotiations. The E U stitched up the UK like a kipper. Nigel Farage  offered his help but big head Boris declined. So this is why we are in this mess all because Johnson wasn't clever enough.  
    • Hands up all those who voted to leave the EU 😂, oopsie.  UK has just signed the Hague convention, next year that will provide cross border clout to British courts.
    • Ive heard about that oil before for the lever pins. I found it easy to work on , it didn't have a whole lot of pivot wear but i bit sloppy on the lever cock, i think you have to live with what you have or bin it. Stiff to wind and set ?  Not a cannon pinion issue that has no friction thats made up further back and if I remember the barrel drives the hour wheel. No problem on this one .Let me know when you start it as i have another that donated to this one, i can work alongside you with it, two heads are better than one.