Repair of Vintage Automatic.

Photographs are of an old Timex Automatic given to me back in the early Eighties.
A sad story of friendship betrayed (sob, sob). I was persuaded to accept this watch from a friend in surety for a loan of £500 on his unsupported word that it was gold and worth over £1,000. Three weeks after he disappeared without trace leaving me and three other friends out of pocket to a total of £5,000, I discovered that the wach had been MAYBE a wee bit oversold and was worth nowt like the money he was talking of. A fact of which he was obviously aware.

My first thought was to chuck the watch into the river but I have always been a fan of Timex watches so started wearing it. It worked for a Month then stoppd for no apparent reason and wouldn't be revived. So it's been in a draw for the last 35 years and I want to resurrect it.

So, can anyone give me the name of a reliable watch repairer in the UK who could do a repair on the watch or fit a new movement if such a thing is possible.

Photographs as attached,

Watch details which I've taken from the serial number on the bottom of the dial show the following (I hope) :-

Serial Number on bottom of dial - 3422910879

Model     -    34229

Movement    -  108

Year       -     1979

At the moment, the winder will adjust the time but not the Date. The second hand ticks for a while, but stops after a while.

Thanks

watchone (0).jpg

watchone (1) .JPG

watchone (1a).JPG

watchone (1b).JPG

watchone (2).JPG

watchone (2a).jpg

yoga.jpg

With nothing to loose and everything to gain, you could most likely fix it yourself.

It looks like a Timex viscount from 1979 though others with more expertise can probably be more specific.

They are pretty robust and relatively easy to repair. The things that tend to break are the click spring for the winder, but yours winds, the winder stem/crown, but yours is complete, and the balance pinions but this is a Timex v-conic movement, so this is not such a  common issue.

By far the most common thing that stops it from running, however is neglect.

It probably needs a good clean and lubrication, and since this is not a high end delicate Swiss movement, but could be more accurately described as a Dundee mantle clock for the wrist. It is possible to "service" it by  carefully giving it a bath in watch cleaning fluid, or even in this case,  lighter fluid, followed by lubricating all of the pinions, re-assembling  and adjusting it. There is  a bit more too this than I describe, but that is roughly what is involved if you decide to attempt to service it yourself.

You will need some watch makers screwdrivers, a movement holder, some good light and magnification a small container to give it a bath in, and a lot of patience. 

A professional watch repairer would probably charge more than the replacement cost of the watch, to service it, but that might not be a problem if the watch is of sentimental value.

So are you feeling brave/foolish enough to attempt to fix it yourself, in which case JerseyMo, HSL, myself or any any of the Timex fans can probably guide you through what you need to do in more detail, or would you prefer to leave it to the experts, in which case, I'm sure someone here will know a reliable watch repairer who can service it. I only do this for fun, so I don't service other peoples stuff I'm afraid. If you decide to fix it yourself, this could put you on the path to slightly addictive but very rewarding hobby.

• Thanks 1