Help determining what movement/dial I can fit into a case I have?

I have wanted learn how to assemble a watch from parts for a while now and after recently breaking the second hand stem(is that the right word) on my favorite watch I figured I would give it a go. The watch repairman said that the movement would be expensive to order and that two of the dial post were broken meaning that even if I ordered it in I would not be able to properly attach it to the existing dial. 

After expressing a desire to learn more about watch repair and mentioning I had recently purchased a repair kit and had been watching videos he went to the back of the store and handed me a bag of vintage watches I could practice on(including a Hamilton) and wished me well.

Due to the sentimental value I would love to try and find a movement and dial that will fit inside the existing case. As pictured below I have all of the parts to the watch including the plastic moment ring. I think that the broken movement is a Technotime. Under where the watch battery would go I see numbers that appear to be 71205, but googling that brings nothing up. The watch itself was an alviero martini pc 7030 but google was unable to find any info on the movement. Other than that it just says 7 Jewels and swiss made.The case has a diameter of 38 mm. Ideally I want to be able to find a cheap quartz movement(to learn with) or potentially a small automatic movement if it will fit that has blank dials available for it. Here is a link to the parts I have as well as a picture of the Hamilton I was given if anyone can ID it. If Daniel Wellington can slap a cheap quartz movement into a watch I figured why can't I!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wookie03 said:

The watch repairman said that the movement would be expensive to order 

I find that hard to believe even swiss quarts movements are pretty affordable

https://www.esslinger.com/eta-watch-movements/

Keep the dial if you find the right movement (or a equivalent replacement) you can use dial dots to attach the dial 

If you can post a better pic of the movement maybe someone here can identify it

ok the alviero martini (italian fashion designer) watch is basically a fashion watch, which means that movement could very well be a technotime which is french, and italians notoriously do outsource to france for many things from clothing to cars. most fashion watches arent always made using swiss movements, the one ive seen use chinese movements.

first things first:

-measure the diameter of the movement (Use ligne size - take the mm and convert to ligne on google mm-ligne converter)

-measure height of the movement from top of the center pinion where minute hand attaches (use mm)

-measure stem height from bottom side of movement (dial side) to the middle of the hole where stem goes (use mm)

then go to esllinger.com and get a Harley Rhonda quartz movement that fits the measurements you just took. they are fairly cheap from $8-$25. also you will have to measure stem length and cut accordingly so crown will lay flush to side of case when seated (do not use the old stem as a reference outside the case) you can install the old stem into the old movement and the measure the length that it sticks out, then cut the new stem at the same length when its installed in the new movement (dont do this until you find the correct crown) because you may possibly need a new crown to fit the case and thread onto the rhonda stem. measuring a crown with a caliper can be difficult because its hard to measure the tube height and diameter. you can get an assortment of crowns from esslinger as well. the old crown may fit the threads so try that first. as far as dials go for the rhonda there are many to choose from.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:56 AM, saswatch88 said:

ok the alviero martini (italian fashion designer) watch is basically a fashion watch, which means that movement could very well be a technotime which is french, and italians notoriously do outsource to france for many things from clothing to cars. most fashion watches arent always made using swiss movements, the one ive seen use chinese movements.

While it's common knowledge that Italy has not produced any watch movement since the late '70s or early '80s and even back then just very few basic ones, I'm not sure what do you mean with "outsource to france". Italian cars (FCA) are actually either made in Italy, or in other EU countries, but not in France, and vice-versa. Italian mid and high-tier clothing is still made in Italy, and as such indicated on the label.
About fashion watches the strongest mov.t supplier  are actually the Japanese, interestingly SII and Miyota (Seiko and Citizen respectively) mechanical movements are actually made in Japan, but these are used on micro-brands, not fashion.

• Like 1

that is true, now, since there has been an economic trade war between the two since the late 80s but has recently been ramped up, but not before and sometimes in between when agreements are made.

lamborghini at one time were assembled in france but not since audi owned them and they are now made in italy, since germans outsource vehicles to italy such as porsche. bugattis are assembled in france as well. armani exchange has clothing made in france. higher end brands like Gucci YES are made in italy, but most of lower end brands as you know outsource same as america, it cost less

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saswatch88 said:

lamborghini at one time were assembled in france but not since audi owned them and they are now made in italy, since germans outsource vehicles to italy such as porsche. bugattis are assembled in france as well. armani exchange has clothing made in france. higher end brands like Gucci YES are made in italy, but most of lower end brands as you know outsource same as america, it cost less

Wait.. I'm not a car buff but for the record:

That being said, of course Italian industrialists, like any other in the world, routinely outsource or relocate factories to the place of lesser cost. With all the socio-economics consequences, one of which is that very many (Italian and other) renowned brands are now foreign-owned.

11 minutes ago, jdm said:

Porsche never built anything outside of Germany  https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/jobs/profile/locations/

Just as a curiosity I once in my lifetime worked in the automotive industry and if I don't remember wrong I once went to Finland to see how the Saab production went.
And at least then Valmet was talking about building Porsche Boxter and Cayman in the feature line .. and I guess they did between 1997 - 2011 when the production was moved  to Magna Steyr in 2012.. one should never say never as Bond said ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_Automotive

2 hours ago, jdm said:

That being said, of course Italian industrialists, like any other in the world, routinely outsource or relocate factories to the place of lesser cost. With all the socio-economics consequences, one of which is that very many (Italian and other) renowned brands are now foreign-owned.

my jeep has an Italian engine - real crap.   vin

2 hours ago, HSL said:

Just as a curiosity I once in my lifetime worked in the automotive industry and if I don't remember wrong I once went to Finland to see how the Saab production went.
And at least then Valmet was talking about building Porsche Boxter and Cayman in the feature line .. and I guess they did between 1997 - 2011 when the production was moved  to Magna Steyr in 2012.. one should never say never as Bond said ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_Automotive

Valmet has turned out some very good stuff- thru the years  in Finnland.  vin

19 hours ago, jdm said:

idk where your info from but i own a porsche 87' 911 turbo and every part i ever bought for it says "made in italy" lol

4 hours ago, saswatch88 said:

idk where your info from but i own a porsche 87' 911 turbo and every part i ever bought for it says "made in italy" lol

Which parts and where are you buying? Italy is still a big manufacturer of generic automotive  parts. 

15 minutes ago, jdm said:

Which parts and where are you buying? Italy is still a big manufacturer of generic automotive  parts. 

pretty much every part i have ever bought from center caps, electrical, moldings, body panels, etc. they may be assembled in germany but parts are manufactured in italy.

31 minutes ago, saswatch88 said:

pretty much every part i have ever bought from center caps, electrical, moldings, body panels, etc. they may be assembled in germany but parts are manufactured in italy.

Surprising if these were original parts from the dealer, even in the time they were still made for an '87 model year. 

The reality of the Italian automotive industry is that it depends almost entirely by FCA, and the entire segment is struggling.