Hello from Virginia

wookie03

As a younger person I have enjoyed watches for the last few years. While I don't have anything to special in my collection(Seiko Chronograph, Swiss Quartz watch) I really enjoy the intricacy and craftsmanship of the nicer watches that are a bit outside of my price range at the moment. I have wanted to learn how to assemble a watch from parts and to work on one for the last few months after seeing some videos on youtube. I recently dropped and broke the second hand stem(is that the right term) that goes into the movement on my favorite watch. The watch repairman said that the movement(swiss quartz) would be expensive to order and that two of the dial post were broken meaning that even if I ordered it in I would not be able to properly attach it to the existing dial.

After expressing a desire to learn more about watch repair and mentioning I had recently purchased a repair kit and had been watching videos he went to the back of the store and handed me a bag of vintage watches I could practice on(including a Hamilton) and wished me well. My watch goal for the next few months is to purchase a movement and dial that will fit inside my existing case and assemble it into a working watch that I "made". Later on I would love to see if I can get the old Hamilton running.