New Horology Books for me

I just received 2 new books today, both by Archie Perkins and I'm very happy with them.

I already had his first book ' The Modern Watchmakers Lathe and How to Use it'

and today I received

Antique watch Restoration Volume 1 and Volume 2

These books are not cheap but I'm very happy with them, if you want to learn how to repair antique watches these are the books you need.

Volume 1 Starts with 34 pages on just how to strip down and clean an English Fusee Lever Watch, followed by a chapter on repairing or making watch Fusee chains and then several other chapters covering how to make Clicks, Ratchwheels, Fusee clicks and Maintaining clicks, repairing fusee barrels.

It then has several other chapters on how to cut wheels and finish winding wheels with snail patterns, rayed patterns and even how to use a rose engine to make the patterns on the winding and ratchet wheels. I know someone who has made their own rose engine to make silver watch dials, so I can see me having a chat with him in the future.

Volume Two goes into how to set jewels in antique watches, then the verge escapement and how to make a new verge escape wheel as well as verge balance staffs, it also goes in depth on repairing duplex escapements, cylinder escapements, chronometer escapements, detached lever escapements, making new pallet forks, roller tables, pallet stnes and jewels and even balance wheels and screws. I don't have all the tools needed or the skill to do all this work, but it does give me something to aim at. :)

There is also a book 3 that goes very much into detail on replacing, repairing and making all types of hairsprings, but I didn't get this book as I decided that was way above my current skill level.

If you are all interested in restoring antique watches where you will likely have to fabricate some parts yourself I do very much recommend these books.

I'm a self confessed bookaholic, not just Horology books, but books on model engineering, jewellery making,woodworking, restoring classic cameras, gardening, cooking, brewing etc.

Basically if its a book on how to make or fix something I probably have atleast 1 book on it. I've even got books on how to make books. :D (book binding that is not writing a book)

• Like 2

Archie's stuff is fantastic. I think the books are or in large part are a collection of his ongoing series of articles he did for the Horological Times. Used to have the whole set of magazines and gave them away when I moved to Europe... dangit! So much info, there were some terrific articles on timing by Newton Noel and a dozen other watch gods.

I'll have to get the books now.