JerseyMo

Hopalong Cassidy - NOS Replacement Strap

No, I don't collect the vintage character watch series made by US Time and Timex.  But I have restored a number of them and typically the strap is missing or well worn.  Some had very distinct straps and trying to find a suitable replacement is not easy.  Ah but, what if you could find a NOS?  Not so easy to do and I thought I never come across one for the Hopalong Cassidy.

You know the one with the big buckle and metal tip.  Than I get in a huge NOS lot from a retired salesman and found this >>>>

DSC00655.JPG

Edited by JerseyMo
typo

Some things are just meant to be and that strap had your name on it. Well done!

Is it just me but, somehow I feel a little sad when I have to separate the strap from an old watch that have been together for goodness knows how many years. I have just stood in front of the waste bin with the strap from a watch that has been worn to the point it had assumed the shape of the owners wrist. The fastening hole was elongated by many years of use. I felt genuinely guilty about letting it finally drop into the bin. I can’t help but think about the person who might have owned it, the places it has been and the stories it could tell. I think I must be getting more sentimental with age.

3 hours ago, Davey57 said:

Some things are just meant to be and that strap had your name on it. Well done!

Is it just me but, somehow I feel a little sad when I have to separate the strap from an old watch that have been together for goodness knows how many years. I have just stood in front of the waste bin with the strap from a watch that has been worn to the point it had assumed the shape of the owners wrist. The fastening hole was elongated by many years of use. I felt genuinely guilty about letting it finally drop into the bin. I can’t help but think about the person who might have owned it, the places it has been and the stories it could tell. I think I must be getting more sentimental with age.

You could, of course, attempt to restore the strap. Some of the leather ones I've encountered did actually restore quite nicely.

I even re-stitched a couple of them. Others however are so badly worn that they are beyond hope.

1 hour ago, Davey57 said:

Yes I have rescued one or two, but some are so disgustingly ingrained with “stuff” I could not bring myself to use them.

yep, as with all straps and bands there can be some seriously funky stuff growing in there!