Question about removing cap jewel screws

saswatch88

hello WRT.

my inquiry is about removing cap jewel screws. I work on old watch movements, usually waltham and elgin 0size and smaller. and i swear i can never get cap jewels screws out, no matter what size screwdriver i use. Iam using top of the line bergeon tempered steel drivers. these csrews are so tiny and the slot is thin and shallow my blade just slips right out. you know when you think your turning the screw but your not. its so annoying and if i do manage to get them out its even worse trying to put them back in. This makes it very difficult for me to do a proper service so Iam wondering if anyone knows a specific driver or blade i should use.

the bergeon .6 and .8 i cant use because i need to apply pressure and with bergeon the blade shanks are the same with as the blade, so any pressure bends and/or breaks the shank. I was looking into getting a set that has wider shanks than the blade, like the old time drivers. i dont know why bergeon doesnt do it, iam guessing so you cant use their blades with other drivers. i have a cheap set that has wide shanks but the blades are garbage, i even tempered them and they still suck. any suggestions

Edited by saswatch88

Even worse is if the head pops off those tiny screw.

I found soaking parts in kerosene for a day or two even longer,  makes a world of difference and much more effective than penterating oil, WD-40 or any other solution of the sort. 

Also screwdriver sharpener is a very useful tool, I shape the blade on a worn screw driver especially for the task. 

If you remove the BW and adjust arm and place the cock on a flat strong anvil, you would have much more control over the operation. Good magnifiction also improves your control.

Combining all above, I have had no problem removing those tiny screws and with such ease.

i dont think its a matter of using penetrating oil to loosen screws its more the blade of the screwdriver not fitting properly in the slot. i know a cylinder will give me more torque but my main focus is having a blade that fits properly, obviously many pros use the bergeon drivers and they remove jewel screws but i just dont understand how. i need to somehow upload a video. these screws have such thin and shallow slots. it like the blade needs to have a knife edge to fit.

I use the 0,6 stainless steel blades and usually no problems getting them out. But get the harder stainless steel blades and cut the a little shorter so they won't bend. Some screws have a very thin slots  for the blade and they are hard to remove. 

I agree with the comments above, I think the answer is to make sure your blades are properly dressed and snugly fit the slot. Suggest have a close look at the slot to see if it damaged or shallow as well. I use a very find ruby stone for dressing screwdriver blades. These stones are available from the usual sources.

Go well.