Watch stops after 5 minutes when crown is screwed down

I have a watch with a 2428 movement the rotor does not wind the mainspring properly also it appears when the crown is all the way screwed in the watch will stop within 20 minutes or so.  I havn't opened the case back yet but what do you suggest I check?

You wouldn,t know unless you open the back.

If you can give it a full manual wind, record how long it runs on full wind. 

The MS may hold power up to some point, beyound which the spindle dislodges releasing all are some of the wind.

A fault may be anywhere in the  selfwinder mech plus the power reserve. This include the rotor bearing, winder module, reduction gear and the barrel. Reversers are especially sensative to use of proper oil. 

I am not sure if I correctly understand what you mean by" the crown is all the way screwed in the watch",  dose the crown screw on stem tube ?  A non native English speaker, here, so....

• Like 1

Hi As Nucejoe explains without opening up the watch it is almost impossible to diagnose. So open it up and post some pictures please, regarding the crown, if you are meaning the winding stem crown, leave it un screwed and see if the watch runs ok. If thats ok it may be that the stem has been changed at some time and is a fraction over long and when screwed in its causing a bind within the movement keyless work.

• Like 1

I completely agree.

There is also a chance that there is a build up of gunk and debris in the stem tube, or the seal may have decayed and be clogging things up.  This might also cause the stem to bind up when the crown is screwed in, but as has been stated, you wont know until you take a closer look.

It sounds to me like the watch may simply be in need of a good clean and a full service.

i agree with the general consensus that the keys are probably dirty and gunked up, but i think that would stop the watch right away, not 20 min later. I had a few watches that did that. iam guessing you checked that it runs fine when crown is not screwed in?