New member with question.

krk

Been wearing analog watches since I received a Roy Rodgers watch in second grade. I have about 16 wrist watches in my collection, mostly Hamilton and Bulova. Some I purchased at estate sales, including an Omega Seamaster Automatic for $25.00 that had a broken crystal.  The people that ran the estate sale told me the watch was broken because they tried to wind it, but it would't run. They didn't know what automatic meant, and I gladly gave them the money.

I was recently given a Hamilton Khaki quartz field watch with a broken crystal. The movement is an ETA 955112. The watch was running and keeping good time. After watching several videos about replacing a crystal, I ordered the crystal and a watch press. I removed the stem and the movement, and replaced the crystal. I installed the movement back into the case. I carefully installed the stem and replaced the battery. Now the watch doesn't run. The battery is good because I tested it in another watch. Anyone have any idea why it's not working?

Thank you.

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

When replacing a glass always make sure the hands are clear from being caught by the glass other hands and from raised numbers on the dial. The same goes if you remove hands always make sure they are free. I always wound the hands 12 hours around the dial to be sure.

having taken on board what has already been said regarding hands if they appear to be ok. The easy way is to remove the unit from the case and fit battery and try again.   I would also check that the coil is ok  as I once clipped one opening the case on an eta, look for a bright smudge on the coil where the opener hit it. All is not lost if the coil is clipped as it can be repaired with a silver impregnated epoxy  (ebay) 

Also, on one watch I worked on, one of the hour markers had come loose and it would stop the hour hand...sometimes. It hardly moved but it just moved enough so it caused an intermittent problem. 

It was fun gluing it down...

Edited by Folkvisor
spelling error

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I looked at the coil with my eye loupe and didn't see anything,  the hands weren't in contact with each other or the watch face, so I tried another battery. Still didn't run. I decided to bring the watch to work an looked at the coil under a microscope. After rotating the watch several times to look at the coil from different angles, I finally found an almost imperceptible nick on the coil. I put a silver paste over the area  the watch now runs.

Thank you watchweasol for the suggestion.