oldhippy

A nice carriage clock.

The only slightly odd thing I can see is that the dial markings look slightly misplaced.

If the diameter of the seconds markings were a few millimeters smaller, it would make the face look slightly better balanced. As it is, they appear to take the design too high up on the face.

Other than that slight quirk, it looks, to my untrained eye, pretty clean and well preserved (or restored).

Would I prefer the carriage clock, or another 1,424 3/4 members of the 404 club.. That's a tough choice. :P

I suspect my wife would take the carriage clock, for the practical reason that it would take up a lot less space. :biggrin:

Edited by AndyHull

On 4/1/2019 at 3:53 AM, AndyHull said:

Other than that slight quirk, it looks, to my untrained eye, pretty clean and well preserved (or restored).

If you have a look at the photo with the back door open, they could have redone the bluing of the screws and recut at least one of them. For that kind of money you want it Museum quality.

The case style is not common but they do turn up at a rate of 3 or four a year , the biggest difference to price depends on the escapement fitted to the clock one sold at Dreweatts auction house newbury described as follows :

A fine French gilt brass carriage clock Japy Freres, Beaucourt and Paris, circa 1860 The eight-day two train bell striking movement with gilt platform lever escapement regulated by unusual three-arm sprung monometallic balance applied with three axe-head shaped blued steel projections to rim, the backplate with small bell over stamped central oval trademark JAPY FRERES & CIE, EXPOSITION 1855, GRANDE MED. D HONNEUR.

That fetched £1,000 on the 20 sep 2017

Another with the same case but fitted with a engraved detent chronometer platform and center seconds sold for £1,600 in 2015

I would say the one being sold on ebay would fetch £1,000 to £1,500 at auction

4 hours ago, Bod said:

Bit of a price difference.

What would you expect the auction estimate to be?

Bod

It all depends who is after it. If the competition is high, it could run away and fetch a very high price. The case, platform, and maker will play a big part in price. I notice the screws have been mentioned, it makes no difference they can easily be tidied up and re-blued. The asking price on the original post was ridicules. I am out of touch with the market and prices these days. At a guess £2000 plus.     

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.