Novice but dedicated

I’ve posted before about my situation and I’m now starting my journey into horology.

one question for the professional clock and watch repairers out there, what is your typical day? I mean what do you do to make a living? Do you repair one unit at a time or do you have days for doing jobs on mass for a number of units? 

Do you just rely on repairs/servicing clients clocks/watches or do you have projects to work on and then sell?

How do you make a living? 

It is what I’m aiming for but want to know. 

Making a living from horology is difficult and requires many years of learning to become competent. The cost of the tools is a factor to be considered too. Watch spares is now a big issue so maybe clocks would be the way to go. However you will still need the skills and a decent size workshop. 

I’m looking to concentrate on clocks. The BHI coarse is general in the first year and then more defined either clocks or watches in the second and third years. I intend to get a job whilst doing the coarse and until I gain the experience. My questions are asked to get a feel of a professional’s average day.

Dismantling a simple clock, cleaning sorting and rebuilding takes me a day or so but I’m slow and without some tools and deffo without skills and knowledge. I’ve also not yet come across any major problem issues although that will change. I’m looking forward to rebushing and repivoting.

I switched from watches to manly high-grade clocks. Partly due to there being a demand for such a person and the area in which I lived was very full in such clocks.  I also had a very well equipped workshop, which was handed down to me when my master retired. Experience plays a big part and the right equipment. Each clock was worked on in turn to its arrival. I never did part jobs such as replacing a mainspring spring it was never worth it. The clocks would be completely repaired or restored; I would always give an estimate and stick to that. Every repair had a 1 years guarantee and I always preferred to set the clock up at its home, that way you can be sure it will be correct. My waiting time for repairing would run into months because of the workload, I wold have about 5 Longcase clocks at any given time waiting for repair. You will have to work out what you want to do and how you go about running your workshop. The only work that I would farm out would be case repairs, dial repainting and some wheel cutting. It can be long hours even after closing you have all the paper work, estimates, martial to order. If you are successful, the rewards are big and you can make a decent living.   

I served a 7 year apprenticeship two of those years was as an improver to become a watch & clockmaker. This included making certain parts for watches and parts for clocks.

• Like 1

Thanks OH that’s the sort of info I’m after. I’m aware that clock repair/ renovation is a tricky one to get right. Looking at the prices clock command would mean the work involved and the cost to the customer would write off most of the stuff I’m playing around with. Therefore only the more expensive clocks would be worth the time and therefore expense. A full day or more working on a £50 valued clock would not make sense. 

People have sentimental value but charging multiple cost to repair something with low value...

The paperwork doesn’t worry me, it’s been my workload for 35 years. I’m set for producing correspondence accounts etc. Insurance is a big concern, having a multi hundred or thousand pounds clock in my possession needs to be covered 

I forgot insurance, you must have that. You need to shop around. Even in my time some companies wanted alarms, bars at the windows and a safe in case you had small valueable clocks that would fit in a pocket. Had to lock those away at night.