Spring - Time to get outdoors

I am one of those that hates the sun..... nah not really :).

My plan for next week is sorting out the shed. It needs a new coat of paint as I replaced one of the doors last week then it’s emptying it all, sorting out the junk, and making it into a proper workshop. At the moment I cannot actually get in to do anything.

Oh and the grass needs cutting.

There is nothing to stop you enjoying the garden and  a little bit of horological entertainment too.

RIMG0487.thumb.JPG.e46d470fb122e0ac8cf793435aff7865.JPG

This little 17 Jewel "Regency" is getting put through its paces prior to some final polishing and cleaning, while I do some cleaning up in the garden at the same time.

RIMG0482.thumb.JPG.1ba10fcbacd3b094a2bafcbab9be06be.JPG

It is perhaps not as attractive as what settled down on a rock next to me to sun itself, but not too shabby either.

RIMG0502.thumb.JPG.b08993ab575a2296229150e431c5e4dd.JPG

This peacock butterfly settled for a few minutes next to me, before heading off in search of nectar.

Mate I’m only the 3rd owner, 1st was a rig worker so she sat on the quayside in Scotland for a month at a time then my sister had it in the borders, then stored outside for 18 months!!!! So a new roof fitted and other bits then the under side reared its ugly head, every corner was rotting, due to blocked drain holes. Underside done now it’s abit of internal wing work and some brake hoses. Then full respray!!! Only done 63k in total so not really run in yet, well worth keeping for that weekend play thing.

mine is original model year 1990 with 87 k miles and I'm the 3 th owner.  It began its life in Ohio, the owner moved around a few times and ended up in New Jersey.  My brother bought it 12 years ago and 2 years ago just gave it to me.  How could I say no!

No rust that I can see and it got a clean bill of health on the last mechanical inspection.  The one thing I had done than was to replace the chrome tip on the tail pipe.    Will post a video of a weekend ride through the neighborhood soon.

Nothing exotic for me I'm afraid. As I live on 10 acres located within the boundaries of a national forest, I'm blessed with an abundance of 100 ft tall trees. Did I mention that trees shed dead limbs much like my Great Dane sheds hair? I've been piling and burning a bumper crop this spring. I've mowed once already and I need to do so again. At the moment though, a late spring cold front is moving through my area bringing rain. So, for the time being, I'm stuck playing with watches. Oh darn!

Edited by TexasDon
spelling

Typical fickle eastern NC spring weather... sweating one day, teeth chattering the next.One grass cutting so far. seal went on the bottom of the mower.. took the belts with it.. Car ? 1990 volvo 240.. dont know how many miles are on it, the thing eats speedometers. at least 300,000 miles on it maybe more.

15 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Typical fickle eastern NC spring weather... sweating one day, teeth chattering the next.One grass cutting so far. seal went on the bottom of the mower.. took the belts with it.. Car ? 1990 volvo 240.. dont know how many miles are on it, the thing eats speedometers. at least 300,000 miles on it maybe more.

I have a Volvo V50 with around 240,000 miles on it.

Volvo may charge an arm and a leg for parts (which manufacturer doesn't these days), but they are pretty robust.

Mine has had a bit of suspension work done, and a couple of batteries, brake disks and all the usual consumables, but it surprised me when it sailed through its last MOT.

A couple of years back, I bumped in to someone with a white 240, from 1976 as I recall,  that looked like new. From memory, I think it had about 400,000 miles on it.

Texas tends to be truck country more than most other areas although SUV sales are overtaking them. I drive my late wife's 2012 Toyota Camry most of the time (62,000 miles on the clock). With a small amount of acreage, I have to have a truck. Mine is a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with 245,000 miles on it. The difference in fuel economy is startling. The Camry gets 32 mpg regularly. The Dodge, with a tail wind and a downhill route might one day get 15 mpg. So far it hasn't made it though.

Edited by TexasDon

4 hours ago, TexasDon said:

Nothing exotic for me I'm afraid. As I live on 10 acres located within the boundaries of a national forest, I'm blessed with an abundance of 100 ft tall trees. Did I mention that trees shed dead limbs much like my Great Dane sheds hair? I've been piling and burning a bumper crop this spring. I've mowed once already and I need to do so again. At the moment though, a late spring cold front is moving through my area bringing rain. So, for the time being, I'm stuck playing with watches. Oh darn!

10 acres lots a thing of the past up by me unless you are looking at commercial property.  And if not commercial those sized spaces are getting bought up and turned in "55 and older" sites.

and what is a red convertible without a cute blonde?

Lucy.jpg

• Like 2

Just back from a little staycation here in Ireland... weather was beautiful for a change. As people say here, it'd be a great little country if you could put a roof over it!

IMG_7735.JPG

IMG_7701.JPG

IMG_7693.JPG

IMG_7664.JPG

IMG_7543.JPG

Edited by JBerry
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasDon said:

Did you check to see if there were any fish of edible size in that stream?

I didn't unfortunately, left my harpoon back in the tent. Good Salmon fishing in Delphi though, the area of the last picture

Edited by JBerry

Now it's warm enough to begin cultivating the flowers here too, we been struggling for a few years to fill out the 4 acre garden with plants and flowers. The right tools for the work makes wonders.

IMG_20190407_121744.jpg

• Like 1

Continued the spring clean up this past Saturday which included flower bed edge trimming,  plant relocation, laying some blue stone and 

moving some very large rocks.  All went great, except for the fact I wound up in the hospital with what the doctor called a micro heart attack.  Root cause was two blockages that were cleared and repaired with stints.  So JerseyMo is still ticking and ready for the next 60 years just might not be around so often.

Wish you all the best. 

7 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

Continued the spring clean up this past Saturday which included flower bed edge trimming,  plant relocation, laying some blue stone and 

moving some very large rocks.  All went great, except for the fact I wound up in the hospital with what the doctor called a micro heart attack.  Root cause was two blockages that were cleared and repaired with stints.  So JerseyMo is still ticking and ready for the next 60 years just might not be around so often.

Wish you all the best. 

I hope you have a speedy recovery. Take it easy.

Edited by AndyHull