peter alarm clock

luiazazrambo

Hi *,

I bought a few clock on ebay as a joblot and this one was one of them. I just love it. It was soaking in oil and dirt. I have already cleaned and oiled the music player part and the clock is thicking down at the moment, it has a broken alarm spring though. It has a thorens music player and I am not sure about the tune and about the comb of it. Both the comb and the cylinder has the number of 3477 so they belong together, my question: should the comb have all of the teeth or was it produced without some of the teeth? 

Ohh and I have the glass for the clock but it is missing for the ballerina, any idea how to get one? Or shall i just cut one from plexiglass?

Best regards,

Lui

IMG_20190328_001159.jpg

IMG_20190329_012520.jpg

IMG_20190329_012702.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Squiffything said:

Replacement combs are available and it looks to be a standard 18 tooth comb. Not sure how available Thorens combs are. 

Could not find any for thorens so far. The ones I see with 18 tooth are similar, but not the same and the devil is in the details. They probably would not give the same tune/sounds back. I might give a try as I have no options.

20 minutes ago, Squiffything said:

Excellent and if you get it at that price it’s worth the unit to make the clock “original” plus you have the box for another project :)

Yep, however I was worried about the weights at the end of the tooth on the comb. I knew that they must play a role and here we go: 

My colleagues wold say RTFM. :)

5 hours ago, measuretwice said:

Very nice, that's pretty neat item.    I was hoping we were going to see a comb repair as I've a Swiss Music Box that needs work, including a comb repair, but it turned out very well

Well I don't think that the comb could be realistically repaired. I had missing teeth and even if I would have them I could not weld them back. If you look on ebay for thorens music box you will see that you could buy one for around 5 pounds plus postage (18 teeth).  So I did buy a jewlery box and then I replaced the drum and the comb in the clock music box movement. They come in pair as the weight of the end of the teeth specially formed and made for the drum to achieve the right tune. The rest of the music box was already cleaned and oiled. While I was searching for music boxes I could not help myself and i bought this for 3 pound plus postage:

For sure you went the right route, the one I have is like in the video below so its make a new one or or repair the comb.   I believe those that collect them do repair the combs, I just haven't pursuit it yet to figure out how.  So it sits on a shelf :)They are kind of a neat thing and got fairly elaborate as prior to the phonograph it was the only way to play music other than live.

Edited by measuretwice