Ooo la la, the French Connection

Squiffything

Today I revisited the French birdhouse clock. I gave it a full clean and polish taking great care following the advice on here. It shined up lovely and the pivots all seem good. Put back together and it’s running sweet. Not much needed on the case however one job to do is to fabricate one of the holding arms and fix it to the movement. 

249B66CC-3961-48E2-B867-9FBCB121A5F7.jpeg

The case for this one looks German to me, the sort that Winterhalder would have used or Lenkirch, and someone has fitted the french movement at a later date, it would have been a square dialed clock from around 1880 to 1900. Who ever has put the movement in has cut a square wood surround to take the movement, The french movement bezel would have had a bevelled glass fitted 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks German, however not the quality of W&H or Lenzkirch more like a Junghans. As for date, well have a look inside the back and see what has been removed, the way it was constructed will give some clues, however my guess is about the 1900's>