Troubleshooting question

Lc130

The exact angle depends on the position of each component and varies between watch mechanisms, but at rest it should be roughly like this.

Balance.jpeg.726d329f1041af3c9f8fc270103572db.jpeg

If the impulse jewel is not sitting in the correct place, when at rest (no power in the mainspring), the watch will be out of beat.

The exact position of the end of the hairspring relative to the jewel depends on the design of the watch, but what you show seems incorrect.

3 hours ago, Lc130 said:

I'm still learning watch repair.  Are you saying that the impulse jewel should be directly across (180 degrees) from the beat corrector (HS terminal)?

Thank you

Early in the morning local time here. Just saw the pic.  True depends on design. 

I say,  where would you say the fork is to be placed in your watch so the BW would come to rest in beat?

3 hours ago, Lc130 said:

I'm still learning watch repair.  Are you saying that the impulse jewel should be directly across (180 degrees) from the beat corrector (HS terminal)?

Thank you

Where would you place the fork in your watch, so your BW would come to rest in beat?

5 hours ago, Lc130 said:

It's in pieces at the moment.  This is how it looked before I took it apart and after I put it back together.  You can see the loose screw on top of the ratchet in the second pic.

IMG_3591.thumb.JPG.181e6cfbfe76de596aeadd6d4dea1143.JPG

IMG_3606.thumb.JPG.dba126132db379631777c9ba6662642a.JPG

Where do you place the fork so your BW would come to rest in beat? 

5 hours ago, Lc130 said:

It's in pieces at the moment.  This is how it looked before I took it apart and after I put it back together.  You can see the loose screw on top of the ratchet in the second pic.

IMG_3591.thumb.JPG.181e6cfbfe76de596aeadd6d4dea1143.JPG

IMG_3606.thumb.JPG.dba126132db379631777c9ba6662642a.JPG

Where would you place the fork so your balance wheel can come to rest in beat.

4 hours ago, Lc130 said:

Thank you

Where would you place your fork in your watch, so your BW can come to rest in beat.

4 hours ago, Lc130 said:

Thank you

Where would you place your fork in your watch, so your BW can come to rest in beat.

8 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

The hairspring ends right in front of the impulse pin,  HS end is where the studs mounts on the HS. That is not right.

I also thought there were something strange there, but then I realized I was looking at a shadow of the HS that looked like another turn of the spring. Could it be you're also looking at the shadow?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, aac58 said:

I also thought there were something strange there, but then I realized I was looking at a shadow of the HS that looked like another turn of the spring. Could it be you're also looking at the shadow?

Yes a closer look, I realized . thanks    

Folks,  Sorry for the posting the same repeatedly, poor connection wont let me see if what I submitted got posted. 

1 hour ago, aac58 said:

Well spotted, that is indeed the case. In that case the HS might be fine, but the balance may be not quite aligned correctly. Can we see the output of the time grapher?

8 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Also, is the hairspring correctly fed through the slit in the regulator?

In the picture, it appears to go behind the regulator slot, not through it as it appears to be running too  close to the shaft of the balance to be going through the slot. This may also be an optical illusion of course.

If this is just an illusion, then , set the regulator so the mark lines up with the centre mark between the + and - indicators on the bridge. Set the beat adjuster slightly closer to the bridge, as per the ranf example I linked to, and try again.

the stud should be on spoke, almost 90deg off. That alone is enough for a flight to nowhere. 

This is not always the case. The stud in some case should align with a dot stamped on the outside diameter of the balance wheel. If this is present, it serves as a good starting point for reinstalling the HS or checking initial beat with the BW out of the movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk