Marc

How not to clean a dial.....

This has to be the boldest attempt at marketing a complete b@lls up that I have seen in a very long time.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1979-Bulova-Automatic-ETA-2783-Custom-Art-Watch-Sunburst-Steel-Dial/264251494279?hash=item3d869dcf87:g:9tYAAOSw0lhclftJ

What were they thinking when they did it?

Who are they really trying to kid with that listing?

It could perhaps be saved, but if angle grinder chique is your thing, leave it as it is.

metal-finishing.thumb.jpg.59a6c1765abf6d66407a497a480eada6.jpg

I have damaged a couple of dials along the way, perhaps the worst unintentional effect was when I attempted to touch up some black mold spots on a white plastic dial with silvered numbers with a tiny amount of kitchen surface cleaner.

The chlorine evaporating from the bleach in the cleaner caused an instant bluing round the white plastic at the edges of the "silvered" numerals. Fortunately the dial in question had other more serious damage, so it was an experiment that didn't affect anything of major value, but it was an interesting result. The bleached spots were not actually in contact with the areas that turned blue, the effect appeared to be entirely down to chlorine gas evaporation from those bleached areas reaching the metalized parts.

Having said all that, he could at least have made an attempt to clean the rest of the watch, it looks filthy. I wouldn't even offer it a place in the 404 club in that condition.

Edited by AndyHull

I apologise to all who have been horribly scarred by the listing. It was irresponsible of me to have failed to provide an appropriate warning of the graphic content contained in the link. To be fair I was still in shock having stumbled across the listing mmyself. Who'd have thought that searching ETA 2783 could be so dangerous.:blink::blink:

13 hours ago, Marc said:

This has to be the boldest attempt at marketing a complete b@lls up that I have seen in a very long time.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1979-Bulova-Automatic-ETA-2783-Custom-Art-Watch-Sunburst-Steel-Dial/264251494279?hash=item3d869dcf87:g:9tYAAOSw0lhclftJ

What were they thinking when they did it?

Who are they really trying to kid with that listing?

What in the Bangladesh is that!? Wow! Q: When is a Sunburst a Blackhole?...