Seiko 7s26 Shock springs

Does anyone have a source for the two - ended shock springs for a 7s26 movement.  My is in the Netherlands.  Not the three lobed DiaShock , but the cheaper two-ended.  I cannot locate them on Cousins or Ofrei.  Sieko "hold spring" P# 0015703

Thanks,

RMD

6 hours ago, anilv said:

I hate these newer springs..the older 3 lobed ones were so much better.

No hate when you get how to handle them. Quite easy to put them back either with tweezers, or a shaped tip, as in this video of mine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jdm said:

No hate when you get how to handle them. Quite easy to put them back either with tweezers, or a shaped tip, as in this video of mine.

Hmmm.. Practice makes perfect, I'm impressed.

If I did a similar video, I would have to bleep put all the bits where I launched the spring on to the carpet past my left ear, and then spent ages crawling round looking for it, or sent the movement flying out of the movement holder. I suspect any video I produced would be nearer 31 minutes than your 31 seconds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On a slightly less tongue in cheek note.

One thing I will say @jdm, is that your image quality, lighting  and magnification is superb.

Getting a clear uninterrupted view of what you are trying to do is absolutely vital when dealing with shock springs, or anything else that is as fiddly (and believe me, these little wrigglers are fiddly). 

Also, if the spring is inclined to launch itself I will tend to anchor it with a small  blob of rodico, however this can lead to further problems if you manage to trap some of that under the part the process of fitting it.

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

The smaller one's used by Seiko on the gear train are the really fiddly ones - it's not easy to make a tool that small.

Indeed. So far I had refused to have anything to do with these, but today you got me curious. First I tried some staking punches, none would grab on the spring. Then I adapted a 1.3mm springbar to an handle, but of many attempts only one kind of worked. So I don't recommend a metal tool because it places a too much strain on the spring and stone. I'll go continue oiling the tip of the pivots and be happy like that.

P3280687.JPG

Edited by jdm

Thanks you JDM for the video.  I have tried the peg wood approach and will continue to try to develop my skills using that method.  Unfortunately, I am work on the train springs which are smaller and more difficult to deal with.

Thanks,

RMD

The experts use tweezers, but it's all a bit tight with those small ones. I found using Rodico and pegwood is less likely to result in springs flying off.

I found the only way I could fit those small ones, was :

1. sticking it to some Rodico, then getting one side inserted (easier than tweezers)

2.  using sharpened pegwood to hold the first side in place (put the tip inside the spring so it can't fly off)

3. use another bit of pegwood to press the other side down and slide it sideways. 

I made some tools - just the blunt end of sewing needles pushed in to pegwood, which are really useful for fiddling with shock springs.