How do I remove this battery?

I opened up this watch to replace the battery. It seems the metal piece is over it a bit keeping it in place. Is this a clip I need to move or open before removing the battery? Do I need to remove the tiny flathead screw(s)?
IMG_20190326_064008.thumb.jpg.055bab1b66e0c12b1ce35dccc5ab15de.jpg

Just loosen the screw at the right end of the coil, its slotted below the screw, put a pin the small hole to move it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bosstaki said:

Just loosen the screw at the right end of the coil, its slotted below the screw, put a pin the small hole to move it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I think I see what you're saying. So, I can loosen the flathead screw in the bottom right of the picture just below the battery. Then that will allow me to move the metal clip out of the way to remove the battery. Do I need to remove the screw or just loosen it enough to move the metal piece to the side?

On 3/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, yankeedog said:

ronda 515... as mentioned loosen that screw. Be careful when inserting new battery, bottom contact is easily damaged.

Alright I've got the old battery out. What is the best way to install a new battery?

Also, I noticed some rust on the stem of the crown is keeping it from moving. I can't spin it or pull it out to adjust the hands. I've put a drop of oil on it in hopes it will come loose. Hope that's okay. I've got it in a position where the oil shouldn't seep down into the dial or anything.

Any tips? Thanks.

Take care with the stem, they are easily damaged, once they get a bit of corrosion. I would try to pop it out, clean it and then re-fit it (or replace if necessary).

Fitting the new battery is the reverse of removing it. Cover the coil, put the edge of the battery under the contact opposite the one you loosened, pull the contact with the pinhole gently back with the pin and press the battery in (gently). Release the pin, tighten the screw, and you are done.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Take care with the stem, they are easily damaged, once they get a bit of corrosion. I would try to pop it out, clean it and then re-fit it (or replace if necessary).

Fitting the new battery is the reverse of removing it. Cover the coil, put the edge of the battery under the contact opposite the one you loosened, pull the contact with the pinhole gently back with the pin and press the battery in (gently). Release the pin, tighten the screw, and you are done.

Thanks for the info!

The crown still won't budge. I'm gonna put a drop of oil on the inside of the stem / crown every few days and wait and see if it will loosen up. Maybe I need a different oil. Just using some of the girlfriend's sewing machine oil.

34 minutes ago, Brandon0413 said:

Thanks for the info!

The crown still won't budge. I'm gonna put a drop of oil on the inside of the stem / crown every few days and wait and see if it will loosen up. Maybe I need a different oil. Just using some of the girlfriend's sewing machine oil.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea? What would you do?

Safe removal is of importance. If screwdriver slips and damages the coil, more damge than good is done.

Avoid pushing down on the screw hard, no force is neccessary.

Use your thumb as a shield in between the screwdriver and coil., unscrew or even remove the screw, pop the battery out any way you deem safe,  shield when replacing.

• Thanks 1

For the crown, this is one of those rare occasions i would suggest WD40, quirt a very small amount in to a suitable container, apply a few drops to the crown and stem with a pin. Wait a day or so to see if it does the trick.

Sewing machine oil may work, but it is not so good at penetrating the rust or gunk.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brandon0413 said:

20 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Alright. That was a little tricky. New battery is in. Watch is ticking again after almost 10 years.

But it's the wrong time and I can't change it! I'll try to get a drop of WD-40 on the inside of the crown and on the stem.

17 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I presume you checked that the crown is not a screw down type, and simply needs unscrewed before you can pull it out.

I didn't think of that. But, I was able to get a couple of small drops of WD-40 on the stem and crown last night and today they are spinning freely. I'm also able to pull it out some, but not enough to change the day or time. There is a lot of rust or something built up on the stem where it goes into the body of the watch when looking at the inside of the watch. I don't see any rust or anything anywhere else and it's otherwise quite clean.

This is a fossil watch that has the time and the day of the month and that's it. And, if I remember correctly, you are supposed to be able to pull the crown out to two different places to adjust them both. I'm going to keep waiting and adding a drop of oil occasionally when it looks dry.

Edited by Brandon0413

Glad to see you are making progress. There is probably a build up of gunk in the stem tube. If WD40 is doing the job, then if you take it slowly and gently, you should get it free.

If you post a couple of clear pictures of the mechanism, we can probably figure out how to release the stem completely to allow you to drop the mechanism out of the case and clean the tube and the stem more thoroughly. I suspect you simply press the little circle next to the stem with a pin or tweezers, but a better picture of that area would confirm that.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Glad to see you are making progress. There is probably a build up of gunk in the stem tube. If WD40 is doing the job, then if you take it slowly and gently, you should get it free.

If you post a couple of clear pictures of the mechanism, we can probably figure out how to release the stem completely to allow you to drop the mechanism out of the case and clean the tube and the stem more thoroughly. I suspect you simply press the little circle next to the stem with a pin or tweezers, but a better picture of that area would confirm that.

1596898452.png

This circled should be the pin you press to release the stem, press gently with tweezers, (a sturdy toothpick will work).

Stem should slide straight out, if it needs force keep adding tiny bits of oil. Don't flood it.

Screenshot_2019-03-31-21-36-59.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, m1ks said:

This circled should be the pin you press to release the stem, press gently with tweezers, (a sturdy toothpick will work).

Stem should slide straight out, if it needs force keep adding tiny bits of oil. Don't flood it.

Screenshot_2019-03-31-21-36-59.jpg

Exactly, as @m1ks said, gently.. don't press too hard on that little spring button, if it doesn't want to co-operate, then a drop more WD40 and a little more patience are called for.

Sure would be great to have a reference page with the stem removal releases identified for the common movements.  Sometimes they hide pretty good for us beginners, and sometimes the releases are obvious.  I have a chart of battery crossover numbers curtesy of Renata, which I use all the time.  A visual guide to removal of stems would be a super companion.  

It may be time to just replace the whole movement. They are not expensive. It looks like  Ronda 515. you will see a small number in an oblong circle  in the black plastic ring around the movement they come from the manufacturer with a new stem and battery in the $10 to $15 price range.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

I've been busy and the watch had just been sitting. I finally tried again yesterday morning and was able to set the day and time.

I tried removing the stem by pushing that button but it doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't depress. I read it's the hole next to it where the arrow is pointing. I may try again sometime as the watch is a little dirty on the inside. I'd like to clean it.

Also, I may have misplaced the plastic movement ring I guess it's called. The plastic clip that keeps it in place. Either that or it didn't have one to begin with. I can't remember if it had one. It moves around inside the case when adjusting the stem/crown.

The dog knocked everything off my table one day. Maybe it rolled across the room somewhere.