New member here to learn

Hi. My name is Brandon.

I joined because I want to learn a bit about how to care for my girlfriend's watches and mine as well. We're not collectors or anything. Just casual watch wearers.

She started all this. I replaced the battery in one of hers. It was easy. And one ended up being a kinetic watch that she hadn't worn in a long time. But, she has a few more that she wants to get going again and I have one as well.

We've already damaged one by breaking the crystal trying to pop the back back into place on one of hers. I warned her I didn't know exactly what I was doing and that i had never done it before but she wanted to try. So, we used a watch press...incorrectly. Got it online. I'm pretty upset with myself. I'm usually pretty good about tinkering and fixing things and I usually do more research before diving into something I've never done before. The instructions for the watch press were lacking and I followed them to a T. We see now where we went wrong, though. Should have done some research and watched some videos on how to use one first. Please don't be too harsh on me lol. I'm taking it to a jeweler today to get the crystal replaced because I don't want to get into that.

One of my watches and one of hers both have a back that unscrews. I got the tool needed to remove the back and successfully opened them both without scratching them up to see what batteries they need. It all went well. The battery came out very easily in hers, but mine has some sort of clip or something in the way. It's metal and looks like I might need to remove a small flathead screw to open it up and remove the battery, but I am not sure.

So, I'm here to learn mostly. Thanks for having me.

Hi    Brandon You do realise this could be the start of somthing big,  With regard to batteries in watches they come in all sorts and sizes, some just pop in and others have a little clip which needs to be sprung to remove the old battery and sprung again when fitting. Others have a metal strap across the battery, This has to be released. At one end is usually a screw the other end being clipped into or under the frame or back plate. To remove this type requires you to release the screw and swing the clip away from the head or remove the screw altogether, Use a cocktail stick or such to hold the spring when releasing the screw as they can jump away never to be seen again. Tools required, watchmakers screwdriver set, case back tool or knife for the snap- ons  tweezers Plastic or non conductive tipped and the case closer set which you have found out that not using the correct size dies cracks the crystal. good luck in your endeavour.  If in doubt ask on the forum some one will answer your question for sure.

15 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi    Brandon You do realise this could be the start of somthing big,  With regard to batteries in watches they come in all sorts and sizes, some just pop in and others have a little clip which needs to be sprung to remove the old battery and sprung again when fitting. Others have a metal strap across the battery, This has to be released. At one end is usually a screw the other end being clipped into or under the frame or back plate. To remove this type requires you to release the screw and swing the clip away from the head or remove the screw altogether, Use a cocktail stick or such to hold the spring when releasing the screw as they can jump away never to be seen again. Tools required, watchmakers screwdriver set, case back tool or knife for the snap- ons  tweezers Plastic or non conductive tipped and the case closer set which you have found out that not using the correct size dies cracks the crystal. good luck in your endeavour.  If in doubt ask on the forum some one will answer your question for sure.

Yes, I am slowly realizing there is quite a bit more to it than I think we both had in mind before going down this path. But, we are both big into DIY and we are willing to learn. Thank you for the quick reply. It helps see the big picture a bit more.