Early Borgel cased pocket watches and why you should keep a eye out for them

I quite often see early Borgel cased pocket watches on Ebay not listed correctly or just listed as pocket watches with no other description, they are worth keeping an eye out for, the early ones almost always contain high grade movements, they where expensive watches when first introduced so where fitted with Omega, Longines or IWC movements, many sellers dont know how to open the cases so dont realises that they contain very good movements so they are often listed at cheap prices.

IMG_2892.thumb.JPG.2596f4dddda8ff19f399374cc1e0ac6a.JPG

This I bought last week on Ebay, it arrived today, I knew it would contain a good movement as it happens it is a I.W.C it is dirty needs a polish to the case and crystal and has a hairline crack on the dial but at £45 it represents a very good buy.

IMG_2893.thumb.JPG.3dd5be877015a8ba6b1365bdba98a8eb.JPG

It has import marks for 1908 and was retailed by Stauffer Son and Co so the movement is stamped accordingly, but is a IWC manufactured calibre 64 the patent number on the movement refers to a IWC patent for stopwork on the mainspring barrel.

IMG_2894.thumb.JPG.ab2767df718e79e22c29ca6df128d3a7.JPG

This is the second IWC Boregel watch I have had in a year both bought cheap so keep a eye out you will get a highgrade watch at a good price if your lucky enough to spot one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1