Waltham

I have a Waltham pocket watch which i purchased wjth some other bits and pieces. Runs well but has one problem I can't alter the hands. Its definately a pendant set watch but the crown will not pull out. It will come right out if I loosen the screw and pull. Before I pull it all apart could someone perhaps tell me what I'm looking for with regard to the keyless works. Must  be lots of Waltham fans out there

P1010024.JPG

P1010023.JPG

open the front face, on the upper right side of the dial there should be this little lever sticking out from behind the dial, you cant miss it because it will be steel not gilt(gold) colored. it will be flush with the edge of the movement. you have to slide that back in order to set the time with the crown, then slide it back in when done to re-engage winding function.

1 hour ago, chrisdt said:

No it wont go in any further so looks like a dismantle job. Never worked on one of these before...Would that be dial and hands off?

I took a look in the pocket watch database and it looks like this one does not have a pin lever setting so you just have to pop it out and fix the key less.
Sometimes when I am little bit unsure I use this site to look up the movement.
https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/8781555

Hope it helps..

when you get the crown off,  there is a tool to unscrew the stem collet - if there is one .  then you can set the depth of the stem.   read up on that in a vintage watch repair book like de Carles .  vinn 

The stem sometimes is a friction fit square one, easiest is to remove the movement from the case take the stem away from the movement and push it into the nob again and hope it is tight enough to hold itself in place when pulling it upwards..

While replanting the Tomato plants I had some time to think, now I'm having a coffee break again. On that one there should be a setting lever spring a very thin thing is it still attached to the sliding pinion? 

2 hours ago, HSL said:

While replanting the Tomato plants I had some time to think, now I'm having a coffee break again. On that one there should be a setting lever spring a very thin thing is it still attached to the sliding pinion? 

i thought the same thing, it has to be a lever set. although stem sleeve depth can be the issue as well. if you cant figure it out take the dials and hands off to get a betetr look at wahts going on

Thanks Bernie...They sure will. I keep buying the B.....y things at an auction I go to..Seems to be more in the Uk than in the US There seems to be an inherent problem with the pendant set watches. Lots of them wind ok but dont change the time. I suppose its a time thing. Tend to forget most are over 100 years old.

13 hours ago, berniethebolt said:

Sorting out a couple of walthams myself.hope these pics can help.B

attach a pic of the dial side, that would be the most helpful to the OP and iam curious myself so maybe someone else can point something out. thanks

looks like stem needs to be pushed in to set the time, i would check out the stem sleeve and stem. pull the movement and see if you can click the stem in and out with the crown, if there is no movement then disassemble the crown, stem and sleeve and give them a good cleaning. when screwing in the stem sleeve start at the point where it screws in the farthest. i know a guy who works solely on old waltham/egin pocket/wrist watches and he said the hardest thing is matching stem and sleeve to a case and making it work properluy, and boy he is right since i have the same issues as well.

Bernie

That little silver disc with a screw through it in your final pic....Is that a left hand thead? Been trying to remove it for a while with no success. I think its pull  out to change time and the problem is under that disc

9 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Bernie

That little silver disc with a screw through it in your final pic....Is that a left hand thead? Been trying to remove it for a while with no success. I think its pull  out to change time and the problem is under that disc

No its a normal thread. Underneath is a spring which surrounds an arm×2.one fits at the end. There is a little screw that stops it going back to far. The other fits in between the gap on the cylinder (I have forget the exact name. Old age!) that moves up and down to set the time. 

2 hours ago, chrisdt said:

Thanks Bernie

Trouble is I don't want to chew it up.. Perhaps WD 40 for a soak

Should be fine just don't over do it. It's only a small screw just make sure the screwdriver fits the groove and a bit of pressure should do it. B