Pocket Watch Conversion Question

I'd like to try my hand at converting a vintage pocket into a wristwatch.

For anyone who knows, what size pocket watch should I aim for and what's the best source for an appropriate sized case? Is a 'Hunter' best for this? What's the best solution for a winding stem and if I have to go with a case that's not drilled for the stem, what's the best solution?

In other words, what best practice for this mod?? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there...same project as my...i used full hunter pocket watch whit eta 6498 movement. I guess that is the most easy movemnt to fit into wrist case. You have a lot of watch cases for conversions on ebay mostly from China. There is also some cases from Ukraine but they are not cases for some particular model...you have to udjust them little bit..
I recommend you to try whit eta or unitas 6498 or 6497 movement. The case you will pick is the case that will fit your dial.... you have 35-41mm dials. You have to mesure yours and pick case on that ground.full hunter pocket watch have the winding steam on 9 and not on 12 and that will make you a lot easy to convert.

Послато са SM-J600FN уз помоћ Тапатока

I have considered an old pocket watch conversion project but one thing stops me - nickel poisoning!

Most old pocket watches are nickel or if you pay more, silver or maybe gold. I doubt if you would want to potentially destroy a gold watch though.

If I wear a nickel watch, within the hour I have a severe rash all the way up my arm and within a couple of days it starts to bleed. Takes about a month to clear up.

I think I am an extreme case though.

• Like 1

There are scads of old movements out there.back in the day they melted the cases down..you could put them in a stainless steel case.for wear on your wrist.as stated by milosbn

Edited by yankeedog
Content