seiko movement?

3 minutes ago, Khronos said:

From my experience, the first number of the case code is the movement caliber.  In other words, 6530.

Yes think your quite right ..
Caliber: 6530
Case number: 5799
Serial number: 5 (1975)  8(Augusti) 0490 (Unique serial number)

• Like 1

6530 is the movement reference number, from my own investigations it was in production from 1982 onwards so your serial number would probably date it to August 1985.

I have a Seiko 6530 - 5760  s/no 502572 so a couple of months newer (less old?).

There are also reference numbers on the dial at 6: 6530 - 4370 these refer to the movement and (I think) the dial, hands etc

P3220006.JPG

P3220010.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philipk5 said:

6530 is the movement reference number, from my own investigations it was in production from 1982 onwards so your serial number would probably date it to August 1985.

I have a Seiko 6530 - 5760  s/no 502572 so a couple of months newer (less old?).

There are also reference numbers on the dial at 6: 6530 - 4370 these refer to the movement and (I think) the dial, hands etc

P3220006.JPG

P3220010.JPG

thanks to all but it seems the 6530 is impossible to come by.all on e-bay are for case only so need a modern equivalent replacement.any ideas?

I believe the 6530 has been obsolete since the late 90s. An "equivalent replacement" was apparently a Pulsar VX20, however that is now obsolete with no listed replacement as far as I can tell. My 6530 came to me as a non runner but after a bit of attention it is now running fine, but the case, dial and glass are not the best. I can sense a deal forming.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TexasDon said:

On this side of the pond they seem to be quite abundant. Here's at least one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-6530A-Quartz-Watch-Movement-with-Dial-and-Hands-For-Parts-or-Repair/113668585813?epid=5004511682&hash=item1a772cf955:g:GGwAAOSweYtbJXps&frcectupt=true

The seller notes that he will ship worldwide.

Seems a bit expensive with the postage, probably cost more than the original was worth! Thanks. B. 

44 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

We are at a crossroads. How do want to run it? My case,dial and hands are very good. I am not after making a killing but I do not want to lose either! Offer me your movement or make an offer for my case etc? B. 

My watch owes me £7 plus a battery plus a bit of time. So would £15 inc p&p be any help or if not what would you want for your case etc? My main objective is to try and keep another elderly watch working and hopefully subsequently fund another "resurrection". I will open the case up in the morning and let you have some photos of the movement. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 8:05 AM, philipk5 said:

Herewith mvt photo:

P3230003.JPG

sorry,before i got your post i bid for and won a movement with case and bracelet (which dont look up to much) for just under a tenner so i will see what transpires when i receive it.i will get in touch either way.thanks for the offer.B.