Anyone custom made an acrylic crystal?

I picked up an interesting watch recently. I just liked it because it was something different. Surprisingly,  it ran when I gave it a short wind. There was some water damage and the screws that held the dial on were a rusty mess. Luckily I managed to get them out without damaging the dial further. I have just touched up the affected areas with some blue modelling paint, it will not be seen when it’s in the case. I’ve stripped it down and cleaned it, ready to go back together now. All I need is to find a couple of screws to hold the dial and somehow make a crystal to fit. I sure someone must have been in this situation before. There is no way I will be able to fashion a one with the same lip around the outside. My plan so far is just to cut a crystal as close to the shape of the opening as I can and hold it in with some Hypo Cement. What do you think, would that work?

2544DA12-BBAD-466C-A7CB-18A2AE1D25F9.thumb.jpeg.090aee1d328d2909aadf32e833af178b.jpeg

Costs about two to three dollars to have one custom made here. The crystal quality is not the best in the market, but the fit and remove-refit is like factory mass produced ones. 

You should find the correct measurements or send the broken crystal over. If I find a case like yours would also do.

That’s a nice little jump movement. I have made up a crystal before but it took 3 iterations before getting it to my satisfaction. I modelled the crystal using a 3D cad package at work then sent it to a cnc milling machine to be cut from a solid block of Perspex. The hard work was progressive polishing with wet n dry then final polish with polywatch which gets very hot.

The finished crystal was bonded into place with hypo cement. It’s not hard with the tools I used but you may be a better raw material craftsman than I am. Good luck. Regards Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used old CD's in the past to make temporary crystals or patterns. No cost.

I've got a habit of hanging CD's outside (don't ask)...After a while the coating drops off and my CD's are laminated of 2 parts. Again after being out they separate. I would think if you put them in hot water for a while it would do the same.

You are left with 2 thin clear plastic discs, easily cut with scissors. If it goes wrong bin it and cut another. You'd get a few crystals from a CD.

You *might* find the part number for the crystal, and from there you *might* be able to find a replacement.

Try the catalog mentioned in this post ->

It has a lot of different types, so it can be a little tedious trying to find an exact match.

I know for old radio dial covers I have melted clear plastic over a form.I wonder if there is some clear thermoplastic that would suitable for watch crystals. You know make a form lay plastic over it stick it in the oven long enough  for it to melt.then trim to size.?

25 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

I know for old radio dial covers I have melted clear plastic over a form.I wonder if there is some clear thermoplastic that would suitable for watch crystals. You know make a form lay plastic over it stick it in the oven long enough  for it to melt.then trim to size.?

There are various clear thermoplastics, watch crystals can be made of. Highly transparant, real clear ones made out of microscope slides are most suitable for little or no profile crystals. The lowest quality microscope slide supercede watch crystals in transparancy. 

The problem davey will have to is maintain transparancy as he introduces heat to profile the thermoplast. 

1 hour ago, StuartBaker104 said:

I have a box full of flat round acrylic crystals in different sizes somewhere. If you want to have a go at cutting one out of one of those then PM me with the diameter you’d need and I can send you a couple.

Hi stuart, is that what them flat acrylic crystals are for? I got me a box of approx hunderd pieces too, vintage, dimentions witteh on each package led me think they are made for accurate fit. What you are saying Never occured to me. Thanks. Joe.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi stuart, is that what them flat acrylic crystals are for? I got me a box of approx hunderd pieces too, vintage, dimentions witteh on each package led me think they are made for accurate fit. What you are saying Never occured to me. Thanks. Joe.

I have no idea what they’re for. They were no use for what I bought them for. When I get a chance to dig them out I’ll post some photos and we can have a “what are these for?” competition 

38 minutes ago, StuartBaker104 said:

I have no idea what they’re for. They were no use for what I bought them for. When I get a chance to dig them out I’ll post some photos and we can have a “what are these for?” competition 

Good idea stuart, I,ll join with you posring my batch as well. I think I am following you with notification function. Best wishes 

Well, thanks for the numerous suggestions and ideas everyone. It’s one of those things where you don’t know how it will go until you start. At the moment the movement is giving me a hard time. It was running fine before I touched it. Having cleaned, oiled and reassembled it, it is decidedly sluggish. Runs ok’ish dial down but, dial up it stops altogether. Just out of curiosity, I did do the right thing in oiling the pivots? It’s a non jewelled movement. I oiled the train wheel pivots and balance.

It’s running ok now. There was a tiny bit of a rusty mark on the top balance pivot hole. It was tricky getting in there to clean it up. I hate going anywhere near balance springs, but I had to gently move it aside to reach the hole. Always get the shakes doing that sort of thing!

Well I had some time on my hands and I managed to make “something” that resembles a crystal. I had a flat glass crystal lying about so with nothing to lose I began messing about. I lay the case on top of the glass and scribed the shape with a scalpel. After that I just kept following the marks with the blade. I was surprised when it eventually broke away along the line. After a good bit of shaping and smoothing with some 320 grit and then finer stuff it fit the hole reasonably well. It would have been perfect but one edge splintered slightly and I can see the chip like marks. I bonded it in with some Hypo cement in case it’s not permanent. The case is a bit bashed up anyway so it’s not like it’s mint condition. And like a fool I tried to polish the case a bit and rubbed right through the chrome in a couple of areas, I forgot it’s not a solid lump like a Seiko! Never mind it looks not too bad when wearing it.

3F6DDBB7-FB49-480E-8430-FB02F0CA48B5.thumb.jpeg.73e6a5f6ae6ba86d3804d4357758a457.jpegE8E68209-91E7-4F7C-9724-BD1077349D1F.thumb.jpeg.6afabe6eb24b0fc4086e826f7ede35af.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Let me arrange for the payment, will get back with you.

I forgot to send you pic of the envelopes which show numbering system for this type, I waited for my son to take pics,  he always postpones everything, I,ll send you a pic taken with my tablet ,low quality though.

Few min

IMG-20190326-WA0000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...