Waltham Hillside Pocket Watch Stem

Hey fold,

I picked up this 1885 lever set, Waltham pocket watch with a Hillside 1884 cal movement ( I think).

The watch is missing a stem and crown, I should be able to find a suitable crown handy.

I have two questions:

I am planning to turn a stem to fit the watch, I'm wondering what size and cut of file is best to use to form the square on the stem?

Also, the case tube has a thread inside it, any ideas why?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7098.JPG

IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7100.JPG

• Like 1

Waltham pocket watch stems are not like normal stems. One part is in the movement, the other part is held in the neck by a sleeve, inside the neck the sleeve which most of them screw inside, holds the other piece, this determines the depth by its screw adjustment to wind the spring, then pull to adjust the hands.  

Here is a picture of the types of sleeves for watches with this type of winding and hand setting.   

sleeves.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Waltham pocket watch stems are not like normal stems. One part is in the movement, the other part is held in the neck by a sleeve, inside the neck the sleeve which most of them screw inside, holds the other piece, this determines the depth by its screw adjustment to wind the spring, then pull to adjust the hands.  

Here is a picture of the types of sleeves for watches with this type of winding and hand setting.  

Thanks OH!

The watch seems to be lever set. Not sure if the case was designed for both lever and pendant setting... or I have a bit of a Frankenstein on my hands?

photo_2019-03-20_17-16-50.jpg

Hey fold,
I picked up this 1885 lever set, Waltham pocket watch with a Hillside 1884 cal movement ( I think).
The watch is missing a stem and crown, I should be able to find a suitable crown handy.
I have two questions:
I am planning to turn a stem to fit the watch, I'm wondering what size and cut of file is best to use to form the square on the stem?
Also, the case tube has a thread inside it, any ideas why?
Thanks in advance!
IMG_7098.thumb.JPG.1e76f2126af853025860b72a412cd882.JPG
IMG_7099.thumb.JPG.f26dc742cc109c98a86c0e9a8c63a051.JPG
IMG_7100.thumb.JPG.e4a167cef10d25b4562adc89516db3d8.JPG

I just use a square file in my Lathe to make sure a have a square cut on the stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

you can buy a a parts case and pull the stem and sleeve from that one. just make sure the size and manufacturer are the same. if you plan on making a stem you will have to machine so its works with a sleeve if not the stem will just fall out. there are plenty of parts watches and cases on ebay. finding a stem and sleeve on their own is dam near impossible