Now Thats What I Call A Mini Lathe

Mark

Sorry but I have to disagree with you Mark. it looks pretty, but the method of construction is not conducive to accurate work or longevity. That said, it looks great for the money!

You missed the irony in my post.

Get it?

See it's funny 'cos it's made mostly from plastic and I said irony

:D

On a serious note, I am looking for a model engineers lathe, this one seems reasonable for the price:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cl250m-metal-lathe

Any thoughts?

Mark I have looked at that one and it is good and solid.  If you visit Kent (the garden of England you know!! ) the Axminster tools shop is in a place near Faversham called Bobbing and they have them all on display from approx. £480 to £1000, s.  It,s an Aladdin's cave for hobbyists & Pro,s

The wee lathe in machine mart looks OK for the money. If you have the space I would recommend picking up a good second hand Myfor Super Seven with screw cutting gearbox. If you shop around you can find them being sold with lots of attachments for a reasonable price. I used to have one and can highly recommend it.

I sold a Myford7 when I first moved to the fens, I know the regret is constant... I have looked at most of the mini lathe variants and intend on getting one as soon as funds permit.

the Amadeal

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Lathe-Brand-New-7x14-Machine-with-DRO-4-Chuck-/360344827331?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item53e639b5c3 

Osaki

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Metal-Working-Lathe-300mm-between-Centres-/111252077435?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item19e723fb7b

Chester

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chester-Conquest-Lathe-7-x-14-mini-hobby-/221607215985?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3398d1c371

All based on the same Chinese bed I think also the C3, It depends if you need fine screw cutting some have metal gears some have plastic...

there are a few good sites going through the good and bad points of most of the current range of mini lathes on offer...

I did go and look at the Clarke machine and left the shop not very impressed... its a bit small, watch out for second hand machines with digital controller issues, can be more expensive to fix than a new machine...

good luck in the search if I find one I'll give you a heads up

regards

Nice lathe Mark. Should give you more scope for making your own custom tools etc.

Wish I had room for one myself.

Yes - I have a few projects to put it to use, will be nice to get them done.

It's not the afore mentioned Myford Super7 but it will do for my current needs :)

Just started setting it up - lots of grease to clean off.

post-1-0-07131600-1416829388_thumb.jpg

Nice solid wee lathe for the money Mark. Is this your Christmas come early?

Thanks Geo. Not really, been needing one for a while now to finish some jobs that my watchmakers lathe just can't handle. I will kill three little birds with this and I suppose, as clockboy says, it will be handy for tooling.

Yes  I am jealous attached a vid that I am sure Mark has seen. Trying this with a watchmakers lathe is a non starter but with a mini lathe bobs your uncle fanny is your aunt or something like that. Catching centre is the pain with these tool post but if you use the same size cutting bits not to much of an issue.

http://youtu.be/SzY1j8FmJK4

Hi Nigel. I strongly suggest you get a four jaw chuck, you will need it if you need to do really accurate work as well as holding odd shapes and turning things off centre. If you can only have one chuck, it should be a four jaw!

Had a play with it today and, obviously, had to shim up the tool to find the centre. All seems in order but for the fact that the test piece I put in wobbles about, probably by about 1/3mm. Not sure if I have a duffer here but it seems to not run true :(

I will examine it properly when I get some time between repairs.

Perhaps I need a four jaw chuck.

Yes  I am jealous attached a vid that I am sure Mark has seen. Trying this with a watchmakers lathe is a non starter but with a mini lathe bobs your uncle fanny is your aunt or something like that. Catching centre is the pain with these tool post but if you use the same size cutting bits not to much of an issue.

http://youtu.be/SzY1j8FmJK4

Yes, I saw that video - seemed a bit dangerous to me.

Perhaps I need a four jaw chuck.

A four jaw chuck is indispensable, especially with the lower priced lathe. As I said earlier, it is the only way you can get something to run true by clocking the job with a dial test indicator. These lathes have nothing like the quality or accuracy of proper watchmakers lathes.