Ladies 8512-h16455 eco-drive dive watch

Hello,

My wife has a Ladies 8512-h16455 eco-drive dive watch and I need to replace the 'battery'. Having removed the back - it is not apparent how to remove the battery, as it is held in by a large metal clip which covers the whole outer edge of the watch mechanism. On the right hand side there is engraved the word 'push' but it isn't apparent where to push.  The large clip looks to be held by a screw and there are 4 clips holding it down around the edge.  (I tried removing the screw near the coil, but the bracket will not move)

I have seen information on the men's equivalent watch and it is very straightforward without the bracket.

Thanks in advance for any help or experience with this,

Thanks,
Alan

Watch.jpg

Push.jpg

Clips.jpg

Ignore the „push“ that is to release the stem. Is the bit that covers the battery not springy? The battery might just slide out if you try GENTLY prising it. Looking at the picture, those clips at 2 4 8 and 10 might need to be released from the front. I’ve done a couple of Eco drives that had a similar plate but they didn’t obstruct the battery. Needless to say, take great care around the coil. Good luck.

Just looked closer at the pictures. What I thought were clips don’t look as if they are part of that plate are they? But the smaller lugs, one just past the 12, one below the stem, one at 6 and 9. I think they might clip the whole shebang together.

Edited by Davey57

Hi Davey,

Thanks for the input.  The bit that covers the battery doesn't appear to be springy.  The 'clips' at 2, 4,8 &10 I think are just some sort of positioning - but, yes, the smaller 'lugs/clips' are part of the plate, and do also seem to clip the whole mechanism together.  I did try a little to prise things apart after removing the screw near the coil, but nothing budged... I am not sure about 'approaching this from the front' wouldn't that mean removing the stem and removing the movement?   I am now a little concerned to go any further..probably beyond my capability.....   I was hoping there may be someone out there who has actually successfully completed this task...

Thanks again for your very valued input.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I've just got a few questions:

• -Are you replacing it as the cell is no longer holding a charge?
  • Have you tried pulling the crown out to time-keeping and then placing it under a light source for 12+ hours? 
  • Are you replacing it with the correct solar cell?

The feature of the movement means that you need to replace like-for-like with the cell. If you intend to fit a non-rechargeable battery you could end up doing unintentional damage to the overall workings of the watch (I have seen this before with Eco-Drives that have come into our repair store) 

In regards to the cell casing, you need to push that little arm gently aside (seen in image two) and try to lift and slide the solar cell out. I would recommend using fine tipped but sturdy anti-magnetic tweezers if you have any available available (#2 tweezers are my favorite for this kind of work) Please note that it is important you do not touch that copper coil AT ALL. If it gets damaged, the entire mechanism will no longer be viable.

Hi to remove the stem look where the arrow marked push points there is a small pin with an indent this is what releases the stem, push it down with a sharp point and draw the stem. As ZWGirl says be very care full to replace the cell with like for like as anything else will cause trouble and may well ruin the watch.

ZestyWatchGirl, WatchWeasol, Davey57

Thank-you all for you responses.

ZWGirl,

Yes, the current cell isn't sufficiently holding charge.

Have tried charging in bright light for many many times, but not specifically as you describe.

I know I have to replace with a 'like' cell, but currently I can't read the type number until I remove the casing. (but appreciate your warning)

Also appreciate that I mustn't touch the coil.

WatchWeasol,

Do I need to remove the stem? Thanks yes, will replace the cell with like.

Thanks for all the pdf's - haven't studied them yet,

Thanks for looking Davey57

Thanks again all for your input and help,

Alan

• 7 months later...

Hi!

I‘m facing the exact same problem of replacing the capacitor for an eco-drive movement citizen 8511a. It also has this plate covering the capacitor.

What was the final solution for the problem? Reading through this conversation, I‘m still not sure if it‘s necessaray to remove to covering plate or if it‘s ok to push the little arm aside (picture 2) while leaving the plate attached.

Many thanks to all for having a look at this topic one more time!

KR
Thorsten

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Hi KR  Thorsten,

Unfortunately, I never found a solution and not having the confidence to go further (unsteady hands. etc. :).  I gave up and have left it for the time being (I even tried contacting Citizen help/support and they just wanted me to send them the watch and they would provide me with a quotation..)  - I would still be very grateful for some help with this..  Please let me know if you find anything.

Thanks again,

Alan

Looking at the picture, it seems the most likely solution is to remove the screw that I have highlighted and then use gentle pressure with your tweezers or a suitable flat bladed screwdriver to un-clip the tabs indicated by the arrows, probably starting with the one next to the battery and working anticlockwise. Take extra care not to damage the coil, as that will kill the watch.

Do not undo the other screw as this will remove the plate holding the gears in place, and that may prove tricky to replace.

LadiesEcoDriveAnnotated.jpg.3d2d646ae3deea118cc3834a13b00b4e.jpg

Edited by AndyHull

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your very clear response  - it makes sense what you say.  I'll have to wait until I feel brave enough to try again, I did previously remove the screw, but I was unable to get any further.

Thanks again, hope this helps Thorsten too.

Alan

• 7 months later...

Just for future reference if anybody gets faced with the same problem:

After doing the capacitor change, I can confirm what Andy Hull mentioned above.

The covering plate needs to get removed by unscrewing this one screw and then carefully lifting the 4 clips.
After that, the capacitor is free.

KR
Thorsten

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Thanks 1