Rolex Cal 1560

Legarm

I have been given a Rolex with a 1560 movement which is running 12 mins fast an hour.

I am firstly going to demagnetize it and check it's running from there, does anyone have experience of this movement and what to look for?

I am going to service it ...... very slowly ...... and give the case and strap a good overhaul.

This is my first venture into a Rolex, so it's a bit of a learning curve.

Any help greatly appreciated..... :)

If I'm not mistaken the rotor is one piece and its quite difficult to source.

Some older rolexes have a wire over the hairspring. this can deform and touch the hairspring, affecting timing. Sometines its removed altogether.

Some info found here.

http://www.superlativetime.com/identification-of-rolex-calibres

Anil

• Like 1

Some older rolexes have a wire over the hairspring. this can deform and touch the hairspring, affecting timing. Sometines its removed altogether.

I look forward to progress reports..................and photos!

Anil......

The hairspring does have a guard over it, but cannot see if it is affecting the spring at the moment, I need to strip down to that point and see.

Geo..........

Progress report and photos will be forthcoming.....

Thanks

I am firstly going to demagnetize it and check it's running from there, does anyone have experience of this movement and what to look for?

Demagnetized....................... now running 20 mins an hour fast.... Doh ..............  :huh:

I shall commence the strip down tomorrow ..... wife permitting........ and put up the photos.................. :)

Edited by Legarm

What's the amplitude?

My advice, be careful, parts are expensive and some parts unobtainable.

I would pre clean, then strip and inspect. Inform them of what needs replacing, burnishing etc. At a minimum a new mainspring is a must.

Replace the spring bars they are gone. Case looks pretty fat so a polish won't hurt. Don't ultrasonic the bezel.

Think that will do to start.

Demagnetized....................... now running 20 mins an hour fast.... Doh ..............  :huh:

Sounds like you've put in more magnetism than you took out. I would have another go with the de-magnetiser to get it at least to where it was before you started.

Sounds like you've put in more magnetism than you took out. I would have another go with the de-magnetiser to get it at least to where it was before you started.

True, a demagnetiser can cause further magnetisation if not used properly.

True, a demagnetiser can cause further magnetisation if not used properly.

Demagnetized as per Marks video....... hmmmm

Checked with compass and no movement on needle.....

Strange..................

You would know if it was magnetised from watching the hairspring anyway. I would still pre clean, strip and inspect.

What are the readings from your timing machine?

Thanks all. I'm going to strip and clean. I do not as of yet have a timing machine, it is on top of my acquisition list.

But getting it below the 20 mins would be a step in the right direction.

All stripped down and a couple of points that need addressing...................

1. The mainspring looks as though it has received a full oil change of castrol GTX. The spring looks in good condition, so is this OK to re-use? Dom says to replace, but in Marks video on the 3135, he re-uses the spring.
  2. The hairspring guard appeared to be fouling right through the mainspring. I think it may be a good assumption this is thr cause of the 20 mins/hr gain.
  3. I have read that on these calibres, the guard is sometimes removed completely. Any ideas on this anyone?

Full clean tomorrow and start to re-assemble. I am in two minds as to changing the Pepsi Bezel for a new generic one, but I have seen the old faded ones on ebay go for stupid money...............

Will put up pics of strip down in the morning.................

Thanks for any input on the above.....

I always change mainsprings on a Rolex. Its an expensive watch and a cheap part, why bother reusing especially as you may not have a mainspring winder.

How is the hairspring guard fouling the mainspring? I can't see how it could be possible.

The guard should be left in place it is an often removed part and worth good money. They rarely get out of shape but hairsprings do.

The bezel insert is a huge part of the watches value, a generic insert will hurt the value as much as you will get selling it.

I always change mainsprings on a Rolex. Its an expensive watch and a cheap part, why bother reusing especially as you may not have a mainspring winder.

How is the hairspring guard fouling the mainspring? I can't see how it could be possible.

The guard should be left in place it is an often removed part and worth good money. They rarely get out of shape but hairsprings do.

The bezel insert is a huge part of the watches value, a generic insert will hurt the value as much as you will get selling it.

Thanks. I will look at the mainspring after cleaning, I do have winders so I shall see. I do agree to the cheap fix.

The guard looks ok in the pic, but where it goes under the regulator it was through the centre of the spring.

I agree on the bezel but have asked the owner what they want...................

All the strap and case are now cleaned and polished and have come up a treat......

The hairspring guard is something new to me, could someone please explain why Rolex saw the need to fit one.

Hairspring guards are designed to prevent the coils of the hairspring from jumping over another coil in the hairspring.  When this happens the movement will start to run at a much faster rate often gaining several hours per day.  

Pics as promised..................

post-227-0-29914500-1416647145_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-69221900-1416647153_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-75025200-1416647221_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-03067700-1416647207_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-55363400-1416647182_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-82283000-1416647159.jpg

You can see on the above photo the hairspring guard is fouling the hairspring.

The photo below shows the hairspring removed and the coils returning (thankfully), to their original state.

post-227-0-26573300-1416647164_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-11247100-1416647157.jpg

post-227-0-98832900-1416647225_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-83361400-1416647171_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-99859600-1416647099_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-85903500-1416647094_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-88399800-1416647115_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-32989000-1416647213_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent photos Legarm. Having found the issue with the guard, it looks like all you need to do is give it a good service and a polish and it will be a cracking watch.

Have you any idea what would have caused the guard problem, has the watch been dropped or mechanically abused by someone with little knowledge?

• Like 1

Excellent photos Legarm. Having found the issue with the guard, it looks like all you need to do is give it a good service and a polish and it will be a cracking watch.

Have you any idea what would have caused the guard problem, has the watch been dropped or mechanically abused by someone with little knowledge?

Thanks Geo, 

I do think the latter is the main reason. 

• It looks like someone serviced in the past with a claw hammer….. also some of the plates inside have scratch marks where the screwdriver has slipped.
  • The dial has marks on it where it hasn’t be treated with the utmost of care.
  • the hands have marks on them where they were fitted with the wrong tool.

Looks like a well abused Rolex, but I shall try and bring it back tolook better than when I started.

Will start the cleaning today, check mainspring and do the oil change on the Barrel, it's a bit gungy............... Total clean of everything.