Marine Decimal Chronograph

JerseyMo

It might refer to these guys -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewsbury_Rams

From 1875 to 1877 they were known as the Dewsbury Athletic and Football Club.

"1881 saw the club's first success in the Yorkshire Challenge Cup beating Huddersfield, Bradford and Halifax before an Alfred Newsome drop goal gave them victory over Wakefield Trinity in the final. "

A very interesting watch. I'm sure if you contact the club, they will probably have records from that time.

Edited by AndyHull

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

It might refer to these guys -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewsbury_Rams

From 1875 to 1877 they were known as the Dewsbury Athletic and Football Club.

"1881 saw the club's first success in the Yorkshire Challenge Cup beating Huddersfield, Bradford and Halifax before an Alfred Newsome drop goal gave them victory over Wakefield Trinity in the final. "

A very interesting watch. I'm sure if you contact the club, they will probably have records from that time.

interesting that at one point the owner of this watch ( my watchmaker friend) did contact the club.  He asked if they would be interesting in purchasing it.  They replied with a "no".

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello, possibly a late reply but hopefully of interest. 

This is a "handsome time timepiece or silver centre second watch" to quote the newspaper report of the time, presented to the winners of the Yorkshire Football Challenge Cup - better known as the Yorkshire Cup Rugby Union competition, won by Dewsbury in 1881.  All the players were presented with one, which came with "solid silver guards and medals attached." 

To correct a common error made in the thread. The modern day Dewsbury Rams are not the same club as this Dewsbury - technically Dewsbury  Athletic and Football Club. They are two seperate entities, the club now called the Rams formed, more or less, to join the Northern Union, now the Rugby League, after the members of the DAFC voted against such a move. 

Richard Lowther

Yorkshire RFU archivist. 
[email protected]

On 7/27/2021 at 3:16 PM, albertpierre said:

hi can you tell me what these are worth i have a nice dated one from 1879 george hays,thank you.

Hi Albert, I would be interested in seeing a photo of this if you still have it. I am trying to catalogue all medals etc for the Yorkshire Challenge Cup. 

Thank you. 
Richard Lowther

Yorkshire RFU Archivist
[email protected]