saswatch88

Need some advice on cleaning solutions

Question

OK i want to get a GOOD cleaning solution, iam tired of using naptha. Was looking at LR but i think i may want to go with zenith. I want the movement to really shine so the zenith 777 is what i may go with but iam assuming it has fumes, all my equipment is indoors so was thinking to go with zenith 67 instead, but how well is the shine compared to the 777 does anyone know? also since both of these cleaners are solvent based iam sure i will also have to get the rinsing solution as well.

Also when i clean parts in my ultrasonic i put them in glass jars will any of these solutions have problem being in a closed off glass jar while cleaning, i figured this may also help with any fumes while cleaning.

and one last question: i hate cleaning balances in the ultrasonic i had a few hairsprings get screwed up cleaning them in an ultrasonic, sometime if i pull the balance out by the cock the wheel gets stuck in the solution. so i was gunna go with one dip but i read that it leaves a sticky residue and that doesnt sound acceptable esp for a cleaner designed specifically for hairsprings.

3 answers to this question

Personally I use l&r But I did find you some helpful links. What is sometimes amusing is to look at the material safety sheets when they list the chemicals because you find a lot of times the difference in the fluids isn't really that much. Except Zenith isn't telling us what's in their secret formula. So the usual chemical to make things bright and shiny is some form of ammonia.

Looks like both Zenith cleaning fluids you mentioned should make things bright and shiny. Then with your cleaning fluid you also need a rinse of similar chemical makeup as the cleaning fluid. Then all of the solvent-based cleaners will have fumes. Not so much when you're running the cleaner but more so when you're drying. Personally I just never really notice the films at least with the watch cleaning solutions. The water solution for clocks that l&r makes the ammonia smell is I basically have to go outside you probably should have some sort of respirator when using that.

Glass jars work great for cleaning but if I'm interpreting your text correctly putting a tight fitting lid on would be bad. Anytime you have a solvent that gets warm it's going to evaporate With the possible to break the jar. Then even the ultrasonic action it's conceivable It's going to generate fumes.

Then I think a little more clarification of your hairspring issue is needed? I don't think I've ever had a hairspring screwed up with an ultrasonic cleaner.

https://www.zenithsolutions.net/productlist.htm

https://blog.esslinger.com/zenith-watch-cleaners/

http://www.lrultrasonics.com/industries/jewelry/jwl.solutionsnb.html

I always used L & R cleaner and rinse. My cleaning machine was next to my extractor fan, so caused no problems. I think all cleaners and rinse give off some sort of smell.

The members on here that are repairing and cleaning movements today will be able to help you more then me. With me I'm talking what it was like back in the 70's & 80's.